Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

i lost heat in one zone

Reed
Reed Member Posts: 56
is to release the air from that loop coming from the air hndlr back to the boiler. So as Bruce said shut the valve on the return and purge air through drain that is above the valve that you shut. When purging make sure to maintain pressure in system. Also there might be an air bleeder valve on the return side of the coil on the air hndlr in attic. If you can open that and see if any air releases. It might help.

Comments

• hal_3
    hal_3 Member Posts: 2
    lost heat on one floor of my home

hello
    i have a weil mclean natural gas furnace/boiler. my home has 2 zones and 2 thermostats. my top floor is not getting heat,
    i have 3 circulators and 3 flow checks...the pipes on going from the boiler into the 3 circulators are hot on the exit side of the circulators only 2 are hot and 1 is slightly warm
    the same thing on the 3 flow checks all 3 pipes goining into the flow checks are hot and on the exit side 2 are hot and one is cold...any help ideas,,,,the kids are cold in there bedrooms
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    Probably air bound

a bad circulator, or stuck check valve, first see if you have air bleeders on that floor the ends of rads if not if there is a boiler drain with a shutoff valve under it if so close the shutoff and bleed through the boilerdrain to see if you get air. make sure there is pressure on the boiler first could be lack of water in system, it could be feed valve manually off or plugeed. Some times a few light taps on a flow check will lossen it up. I could go on but check those first are you sure the circ is running?
  • hal_4
    hal_4 Member Posts: 6
    additional information

when my termostat is set to auto...nothing happens even when i raise the temp....if i switch from auto to on the blower/fan comes on..????
  • brucewo1b
    Hal

I am assuming that this is a hydro air system, all the fan comining on means that the fan comes on manually, still seems to be one of the afore mentioned Items, also a bad tstat or wire could be an issue. First amke sure there is pressure in the boiler, 2 no air in the zone if this airhandler is in the attic feedein the second floor then I relly think pressure or air problem but until those are figured out no sence going furthere. Next make sure the circulator is actully running.
  • hal_3
    hal_3 Member Posts: 2

yes it is hydro...what ever that means...i changed to a new thermostat just in case. the boiler has a gauge the top is red seems to be temp saying 180 and the botom is blue says about 15

there is a i guess air handler in the attic big unit
    how can i confirm if my circulators are working????
  • hal_4
    the drain

there is a larger pipe coming out of my boiler it feeds into the 3 circulators is this the drain i should open ???...do i need to turn off the boiler and the water feeding it??/..then open the drain valve???
  • brucewo1b
    Hal

should be a drain and shutoff on each return however I have seen them on the supply side,you want to close the shutoff and open the drain on the zone from the attic unit and see if there is air, keep the feedvalve open and you mayt have to bypass it so to get enough pressure to the water top and force the air back down.
  • hal_4
    new development--no heat yet but still trying

i have isolated the flow check and circulator that feed the heat zone thats not working...although on both side of the flow check and both side of the circulator are very hot...when i trace both lines .....just a few feet away the lines are cold?????...
    what do you think now???
  • brucewo1b
    Did you fine the shut off valve and drain valve for that zone,

if you have its time to purge
  • hal_4

hello...each line does have a shut off. should i turn of the electric to the sysyem and shut the valve and drain the entire line of all water????

what does it mean to purge????

i really appreciate your help so far....do you think this might be the answer????
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    ran up the hill this morning...faulty wire connection.....

This discussion has been closed.