Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heatmaker HW Making Loud Banging Sounds

sorry. You're coil is most likly plugging up. I never have been able to clean one.

Comments

• bob_79
    bob_79 Member Posts: 4
    Loud Banging Noise

My Heatmaker HW Boiler is making loud banging noises just before temprature satisfies at 200 degrees. Tried replacing boiler pump, pumped in boiler cleaner and replaced operating temprature control. Still makes banging noise. Got any suggestions??
  • Mark_79
    Mark_79 Member Posts: 11

Does it bang when the burner lights.
  • Mark_79

• Mark_79

• Mark_79

• Mark_79

• Mark_79

• Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Bleed the coil

And/or replace the coil limit with a new one that's set at 215F
  • Michael_23
    Michael_23 Member Posts: 3

Bad Internal Thermostat
  • Paul B._2
    Paul B._2 Member Posts: 62
    Heat Maker Trouble shooting

Hi Bob,

Sorry I missed this post at work today. I don't have much trouble shooting information here at the house.

The Heatmakers were prone to scale build up in the heat exchanger tubes (water side) which would result in a howling, or moaning noise while operating. If ignored, the layer of scale may have continued to build to the point where a thin layer of water now becomes trapped between the scale and tube wall, and flashes to steam as the high limit setting is approached.

The other possibility is a hairline crack in the flame holder (burner) that is allowing the flame to propagate backwards as the blower fan spins down at shut down. This can often result in a "popping" sound at start up or shutdown.

To differentiate between the two, listen to see if the boiler is moaning as it starts up. a quick shot of fill water will change the pitch of the noise, indicating a water side problem. In addition, if you are flashing to steam in the coil I would expect erratic readings from the boiler pressure gauge when the banging occurs.

Conventional boiler cleaners added to the system will not clean the combustion coil on this boiler. It will require descaling by filling the combustion coil, and allowing it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. The recommended cleaning agent is white vinegar, although in your case it may require a weak acid such as CLR diluted as per the manufacturers mixing instructions and left to sit for 10 minutes. it may even require multiple treatments.

It's important to flush the boiler well after cleaning, and purge all the air out of the coil afterwards.

If you call me at work Monday morning I can provide you with the instructions for siphoning in the cleaning solution without draining the entire boiler.

Sincerely,
    Paul Bock

Laars Heating Systems Co.

603-335-6300 x 562
  • bob_79

When the boiler is about to satisfy the gauge does give erratic readings. Is it it hard to clean coil?? What time zone are you in? I will give you a call on Monday morning. Thanks for your help.
  • bob_79

no
  • Paul B._2
    Paul B._2 Member Posts: 62
    Coil Cleaning

Hi Bob,

It doesn't require any special equipment or tools.

I'm at the factory in New Hampshire. 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern time.

Paul B.
  • Dave Belisle
    Dave Belisle Member Posts: 68
    Heatmakers

We use to service and clean heatmakers .

We would pull them apart , remove the igniter, and use a small spray bottle with water to clean the coil .
    I had a cheap shop vac and made a adapter out of copper pipe to get around in the coil.

After I was done , I would assemble the unit , reinstall the igniter , and fire her up.... problems like you describing would be gone......

What your describing is the unit starting to make steam...

Dave in NH
  • howsweet
    howsweet Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2011
    I am getting banging too

My heatmaker plus starts up fine and gets to about 175 and temp gage starts to jump and boiler bangs and shuts off and the temp gage goes over 200. And sometimes the relief valve opens for a second after it shuts down. I have had a plumber with no solution, a gas and heating guy no solution, then an electicion he did say the low limit switch isn't working because it is not turning on pump but it will not until the boiler finishes it cycle right, idon't want to buy the part if i don't need it? any suggestion its getting cold
  • howsweet
    re my post

I is a heatmaker plus 130hwnat
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Contact the factory....

Laars.com will get you to their website. Talk to either Noel Murdo or Joanie.

http://www.laars.com/ContactUs.aspx

Sharp group of people who know the product inside and out.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• howsweet
    Thanks I will try

thank you I will try anything about now
  • Joannie
    Joannie Member Posts: 96
    Heatmaker

Thanks, Mark.

Our tech service line is 800-900-9276 x41, and you can call from 8-5 eastern time.

Hope this helps.

Joannie
  • howsweet
    thanks

I did email support and I was told to descale the coil ,we did try that still no go after doing it twice. It heats up as soon it hits 170 the gage sputters/ clunks and then shut down. then it starts again sputters and clunks gets a little hotter shuts down and starts again sputters and clunks and ends about 210 and will not turn on ext pump. pretty well dies until cold again just the odd click in the control box. even with  reseting it. There are a whole of us very lost on this over here.
  • howsweet
    ????

Well I finally got my new and shiny low limit aquasat and put it in. And nope not the problem grrrr. Please does any one out there have any other suggestions. I did email the company again and no reply 3 days ago, I will try them again on monday.
  • howsweet
    ????

Well I finally got my new and shiny low limit aquasat and put it in. And nope not the problem grrrr. Please does any one out there have any other suggestions. I did email the company again and no reply 3 days ago, I will try them again on monday.
This discussion has been closed.