Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

using copper pipe for steam

Options
Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
Mad Dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=210&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• T_2
    T_2 Member Posts: 19
    Options

First off is it ok to use copper pipe for single pipe steam system. If so I tried removing the valve that comes up through the floor and it does'nt move. What happend is that 2 elbows that turn the pipe from the basement were moving instead. I can see the straight pipe from the basement coming up through the floor. I thought of cutting it ( snap cutter?) and somehow attaching copper pipe to it and run it srtaight up no elbows and put a new valve on. Can this be done? And how I don't think no hub copulings are for this type of application. Or if I must use black pipe how do you cut the old must you use new threads?
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,203
    Options
    Only one way that I know of...

If you can't get the fitting apart, either break the fitting with a lump hammer or cut the pipe with a Sawzall. Then you thread the pipe in place or try to unthread it from a fitting. I doubt it will come apart.

Without the right tools, forget it. When you work with this old stuff you have to have the materials, tools and guts to be prepared for a lot more work than you imagined. Which means if you really don't know what you are doing, wait for the warm weather so you're not running around like a nut trying to put things back together.

Don't use copper if you can absolutely help it. One day it will leak.

Long Beach Ed
  • Offthegrid
    Offthegrid Member Posts: 1
    Options

Different metals expand/contract at different rates so copper will expand/contract differently than the black pipe or radiators themselves and the fitting will eventually leak.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• jeff_87
    jeff_87 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Sooo. . .

copper piping for the manifold is a bad idea? That is what was installed at my house a few years ago-should I get it redone

Jeff
This discussion has been closed.