Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard Loop

Options
Joey B
Joey B Member Posts: 16
Will I have any problems creating a loop that goes up and down from one beedroom to another.

Loop will start on master bedroom, up to attic, accross a hallway and down to the next room. Return line will be the same back.

Please Help.
Thanks

Comments

• Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Yes.....

.....you will . Zone the two floors for better comfort control...

Also be carefull of freeze ups running water only through unconditioned attic..

Is this house a inline high ranch ?
  • Joey B
    Joey B Member Posts: 16
    Options

Thank you, Ed ..
    The house is a two story house and the bedrooms are on the top floors divide by a hallway about 4 feet wide. The attic is fully insulated.

Beside pipe freeze, what other problems I might encounter?

I have asked 3 prfessionals one will not do it and the other 2 said that it was ok.

Thanks for the help.
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    What Problems......

.....did the one contracter mentioned ?

• Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    air would be my concern

Air is the enemy of a hydronic system. With lots of ups and downs, you potentially increase water turbulence. The potential to be air bound is higher, so be sure to have the provision for atleast 1 air vent at the high point in the system, particularly a long vertical pipe.

If this loop is significantly longer than other heating loops in the house(which it sounds like it might be), you may also have a potential balancing issue. The water will always try to take the shortest path around the system. You might want to install a thermometer on the return leg of this loop to confirm you have an adequate flow through this zone.

If the piping is traveling through heated rooms and interior walls -adequately insulated, I think the potential for freezing is minimal, unless you turn the thermostat way down and the zone stays stagnant for an extended period of time. The assumption being, if its cold enough to freeze the water in the pipe, its cold enough to run the heating system which would prevent it.

You must be concerned about freezeing since you mentioned it- extended power supply outage problems ?? If this potential does exist, maybe you should consider adding a little antifreeze to your system, or some heat tape where pipes might be exposed to sub-freezing temps or wind drafts. Obviously, if theres no power the heat tapes will do nothing.

I agree with Big Ed, if possible, you should consider zoning these rooms to help minimize your fuel consumption, and increase your comfort levels. Good luck on your project.
This discussion has been closed.