Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Opinions needed on piping strategy

hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
HydroLink for that application. it provides an excellent mounting for the circs, a great place to put the fill and expansion tank, an air purger, and a nice insulation jacket.

They also provide a nice 3 way thermostatic module, high flow, for mixed down temperatures.

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Here's a piping diagram

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional" I drew up this morning for fairly big job I've been given a go ahead on. It's a 6000 sq ft house with an in slab radiant floor. There are a few supplemental panel rads in the bedrooms due to a lot of trapezoidal glass. The HO just added a snow melt for around her outside lap pool. It's a super insulated house. R38 in the walls and R78 in the ceiling. The slab is 4 extruded PS inches under the slab and 1 in around the perimeter. The house heat loss at 15 degrees outside design is 90,000 btuh. The snow melt is 45,000 btuh. My concern is that as a circaholic I may be overdoing the circulator thing. I'm fond of the Tek mar 361 injection control and the manifolds are remote. Especially the snow melt, but I wanted to get other ideas that youse guys might have. Thanks for any input. WW
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Pondered for a little while...

And this is what I came up with.

Page 1 shows the buffer tank in series with the primary loop. The Caleffi hydrolink has optional mixing stations for different temps. Like most, I would run high temp as applicable with Pressure Bypass on the rads. Radiant would get its own mix temp and the snowmelt can run off of injection.

Page 2 would be my personal preference. Run the snowmelt mode off of the DHW contacts and ramp it up on priority as you call for snowmelt. (You can always overide the priority DHW on most Mod/Cons to resume space heating.) TRV the panel rads and run them off of and individual zone pump and manifold with a pressure bypass, and mix down the infloor radiant to the OD reset of your choosing. I still like buffer tank piped in series with the primary loop so that if you can reset the tank temp, do.

Regards,

PR

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Thanks guys

A little more info on my design. The supplemental panel rads are all home run off a manifold in the mechanical room with a pressure differential valve between the supply and return, and TRV's on all but one panel rad. The one that is in the room with the thermostat. The panel rads are designed at 140 degrees at design temp and will ride the boiler reset curve. If I use the tekmar 361 injection control for the radiant floor I can use the indoor sensor the shift the curve if the outdoor reset makes the space too warm. The large R values make me nervous of overheating. Since the manifold for the snow melt is so far away from the mechanical room, (about 70 feet) I was thinking injection and the 361 also so I can minitube over, however because I'm only using 140 degree water or less I can't go too small on the tubing. I'm come up with 5/8 for Multicore. I considered using a Munchkin T50 out by the snowmelt manifold but the Indirect is so big, 100 gallons, I sort of want to keep the extra capacity in the mechanical room to use for Domestic water. Thanks for your input. The Hydro link is a possibility too. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.