Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for EDR (Slenderized Am. Rad.)

Mike T., many thanks! - I missed the Burnham Slenderized page - see them now... Interestingly, I first equated the rads in question with the American Radiator Slenderized (p 177) - a very rough comparison in my mind, since the tables were for the 3 tube rads (mine are 4) - anyway, the values just happen to be identical with the ones you pointed out, but the Burnam type is as close a match as I can hope for.

As for the 6-tube rads, the measurements I listed are correct (I have just remeasured). I've dealt with this type before - American Radiator "Arco" series and someone had a chart a few years back. I remember that the rough estimate ended up being significantly off, in that round, and so my search for official Arco values is still on.

In any event, thank you once more, we got most of the rads in question sorted out.

Michael Stoic

Comments

• Michael Stoic_2
    Michael Stoic_2 Member Posts: 8
    EDR Values? - Slenderized Steam Rads, American Radiator

Hello,

I am trying to find EDR values for several steam rads. not included in Dan's book (some listed rads are close, but I'd like to find exact). Please help, if you have the EDR charts for the following:

American Radiator Slenderized

4-tube, W = 4 1/2", H = 22', Tap = 2 1/2"

1) 16 Sections - L = 24" (all "L" values - w/o bushings)

2) 18 Sections - L = 27"

3) 22 Sections - L = 33"

and

6-tube, W = 8", H = 25", Tap = 2 1/2"

4) 18 Sections - L = 32"

Thank you,
    Michael
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Rads (at least by 20th century) seem to have had quite standardized ratings so "close" in tables will yield the same EDR. For the "slenderized" variety you can use "Burnham Slenderized Radiator" on pp. 190-192 of Dan's book EDR.

4-tube x 22" high = 1.6 sq.ft. EDR per section so:

1) = 25.6

2) = 28.8

3) = 35.2

I cannot however find a reasonable match for the 6-tube. The 8" width is too wide for "slenderized" and too narrow for regular thin fin tube. Are you certain about the width? If width & number of tubes is correct, I'd guess about 3.2 - 3.4 sq.ft. per section.

This discussion has been closed.