Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

need advice on replacing steam boiler

Options
Jim_83
Jim_83 Member Posts: 67
For an unbiased opinion, I was wondering what you folks think is the best steam boiler for reliability, serviceability and durability? What would you recommend?

I am replacing an oil-fired steam boiler with another oil-fired steam boiler. I have spoke to a number of contractors and they all have their preferred boiler manufacture. I have been told Burnham, Weil McLain and Utica are their preferred boilers.

What is the reliability you folks have seen in the field with the ‘rubber’ sealing rings Weil McLain uses to seal the connections between the boiler sections?

The connected load is 180 sq ft steam. The smallest boiler from all the manufactures looks over sized. The Weil McLain SGO-3 is oversized by the largest amount; it provides 354 sq ft steam. The Burnham V83 provide 283 sq ft steam and the Utica SFH-365s provides 246 sq ft steam.

I would consider the Burnham MegaSteam, but the contractors don’t know seem to know that much about it because it is just released for sale.

What is the preferred method in this case to match the boiler to the connected load? Down fire the boiler or leave the firing rate alone?

I will not be using the boiler to provide domestic hot water.

Thank you for your advice.

Comments

• Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    steam boiler

I do a lot of steam and they are all Weil Mclain....no exceptions. Even thought it is oversized, you can downfire it to 65% of recommended firing rate without losing a significant amount of efficiency. In my book, the best steam boiler out there bar none. Have some 25 years old out there and never a problem with the elastomer seals. Properly maintained, it will last a long, long time. Consider using the boiler for your domestic hot water. Very efficient way to produce hot water with a Weil Plus tank. It will help the boiler.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.