Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Boilers

able
able Member Posts: 16
I replaced a 8 section burnham in a builders home that I do alot of work for they purchased the original boiler and another company installed it called burnham gave them the warranty info they sent out a new block 1000 pounds I replaced the boiler builder mailed in the tag of boiler sent bill but was told they had the tag but not the bill so re mailed bill its been two years and still havent seen any labor allowance and was told they no longer give one . so I am not a burnham believer anymore

Comments

• w penley
    w penley Member Posts: 2

Anyone else had problems with the Burnham V7 boiler? Mine developed a crack in the casting after only 12 years. Got a Burnham V8 boiler as a replacement and it came with a broken casting at the supply pipe header. Why would anyone opt to ship the boiler with the supply pipe threaded into the boiler? Wasted a 1/2-day of vacation and the burnerman's time awaiting another replacement. Whatever happened to quality control??
  • RE: Burnham Boilers

Just to clarify what you are speaking about here, the pipe that is threaded into the supply tapping is simply to keep the boiler centered in the crate and to keep it from shifting around. In otherwards it is a shipping nipple. We used to send these out with threads only with one end but eventually changed to a standard nipple instead.

I can assure you that we more than likely did not ship the boiler out with a broken housing where that nipple is threaded in. It may have encountered a rough ride somewhere along the way from the freight handler or distributor but not neccessarily at our facility. Was there any visible sign of damage to that nipple or the crate?

Unfortunately things like this never seem to happen on a regular everyday basis but in situations such as yours where it was to replace a leaking boiler. Without speculating about the cause because there is nothing that will make it reverse itself, it should not have happened but it did. The question is what are we and/or the distributor doing to make it right?

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • sootmonkey
    sootmonkey Member Posts: 158
    v8

Ken, out of respect for you, I will let you respond to this first. Keith
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    Things can happen in shipping

But I have had very few problems with anything Burnham ever sent us. Had a bad gas valve ONCE. I just wish they would thread that nipple on both ends because that size is perfect for my union that I like to put on, first. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Scott04
    Scott04 Member Posts: 69
    Shipping nipple

Mad dog,

From what Glenn said in his responce here, it sounds like they are now using a standard nipple. How do you like that for service!

Scott
  • Tim Gardner
    Tim Gardner Member Posts: 183

my V84 came with a threaded nipple.
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531

Glen,

This customer had a cracked V-7. It was replaced with a V-8 as the V-7 is no longer available. After horsing the cracked 7 up and out of the basement we brought the new 8 down in. As my partner uncrated it I observed that the shipping nipple was laying canted over in the hole. There was NO damage anywhere to be seen on the cardboard crating the boiler came in. The nipple had been broken out of the casting. There was casting still on some of the threads. The threads appeared to have been severely damaged at some point. With the condition they were in I would be surprised that it threaded in at all. There was also a stripped screw on the top panel of the jacket. (it was jammed sideways).

My biggest gripe is that this cost me over six man hours of non-billable time. I called my local rep and he was not available, I called tech support and was told I could leave a message. I called my supplier and they contacted Burnham and located a replacement for the replacement.

Maine Ken

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Boilerpro_5
    Boilerpro_5 Member Posts: 407
    I've seen this problem before and

Burnham isn't the only one. I had a burnham series 2 with the casting broken off on the nipple. I also have seen this same problem with The Dunkirk Plymouth series. I never have figured out why anyone would want to stabilize a 500 lb piece of metal with a little 3/4 inch nipple. One good bump and SNAP!

Boilerpro

• Ken

It is very difficult to respond to a post like this one in that is a lose, lose situation for everyone involved. I just want you to know that noone at our plant would ever package up and crate a boiler with the casting broken out with that 2" nipple sticking out of it. It had to have been damaged somewhere along the way from Lancaster to the jobsite. It happened, it is now over and you know as well as I do that we will be doing something about it as far as our representative is concerned.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531

I know Glen. I felt that I should give a detailed explanation of what the Homeowner was referring to. Stuff happens, unfortunately my number came up today!

Maine Ken

• Dave

If you had a Series 2 with a broken casting with a nipple in it, that would have had to have been a long time ago as we haven't shipped that boiler with supply and return fittings in for many years now.In addition to that they were always inside the crate. The V8 Ken had has a 2" threaded nipple in it to secure it in the top of the crate. The bottom of the boiler is secured to the crate skid with 3/8" carriage bolts. We just use the top nipple to hold the crate secure when people push it aroung getting it in the basement and in warehouses and it isn't a 3/4" nipple it is 2".

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Broken castings

We've gotten boilers (doesn't make ANY difference in brand) that have been rammed with a forklift, dropped, loosely clamped (someone "borrowed" the draw rods in a rubber gsketed boiler).

It is the handling, not the manufacturers. We've lost many hours because of other's actions.

One time last year, we replaced a boiler THREE times in the nastiest basement below a flithy fish market with leaking ice chests and floors. Fish blood and nasty cooler water leaked on us everytime we were there. Manufacturer said the Hartford loop connection was too long (we were to replace the boiler only and ignore the piping)after the first replacement, so, we ate the first replacement and swore never to agree to this type of work (not perfect) again. The boiler broke again. cracked 3rd section in the "crown sheet" area. So we replaced it again, maufacturer only specifies a tiny allowance for the job to be done. We lose money again, add more time waiting for delivery, etc. The last boiler is doing fine, so far.

Of course, now that I mentioned it, it will blow up tomorrow.
    The second

Al Corelli, NY

914-804-2234
  • able
    able Member Posts: 16

I replaced a 8 section burnham in a builders home that I do alot of work for they purchased the original boiler and another company installed it I called burnham gave them the warranty info they sent out a new block 1000 pounds I replaced the boiler builder mailed in the tag of boiler sent bill but was told they had the tag but not the bill so re mailed bill its been two years and still havent seen any labor allowance and was told they no longer give one . so I am not a burnham believer anymore
This discussion has been closed.