Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heatway tubing?

Options
go here.

http://www.entraniisettlement.com/ushome.shtml

ME

Comments

• Jason_22
    Jason_22 Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Heatway tubing?

I looked at a job today and the customer has been in the home for a little over a year. They were only getting flow through the DHW zone. The sweatchecks seemed to be stuck shut. I opened them up a few turns, and bled the system. When I did this the water was black almost mud like. 2 years ago someone did some remodeling,and used heatway tubing to get from baseboard to baseboard. They had the oil fired boiler set at 190 high limit. The tubing clearly says Max 180 degrees. Could the tubing be breaking down on the inside? Could this be screwing up the sweatchecks? Thans for the input.
  • mario_2
    mario_2 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Yes. I thought Goodyear stopped making heatway long ago. Chevy Chase has it in his pool house floor. It was primarily made for low temp radiant. 190 degrees is way too hot. It makes excellent compressed air hose
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    What color tube?

personally I don't trust any of the Entran (orange) products. Even the last version from Goodyear Entran 3 seems to flake apart.

I have heard of some dirty conditions with the black Onix product, but not any breakdown of the tube itself. Perhaps a good Rhomar cleaner and flush and start with fresh water.

190 at the boiler gauge doesn't always equate to 190 at the tube. Even so their should be some buffer built into the tube rating. They used to claim it was tested to 300F plus. I think insurance reasons led to the discontined use of that number :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Too bad that settlement money

can't be used on E-3 systems :)

The attorneys tell me very few claims have been made against the money Goodyear has put in escrow. Even after they spent 3 million or more advertizing the available settlement money. I'm not sure why?

The money goes back to GoodYear in a few years if it is not claimed.

I been saddled with a few E-3 systems that keep producing handfuls of this black gunk every few months. Been flushed and filled with DI water, no fill connected, copper tube boilers.

The homeowners have no recourse with these E-3 systems. Heatway's gone, Goodyear's settled out. Now what?

Be interested if anyone else is seeing this gunk in E-3 systems.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jason_22
    Jason_22 Member Posts: 39
    Options
    tubing

The tubing is the black fat stuff, maybe 1'' or so diameter.Maybe I should have flushed it better, then the next visit see what it looks like.
  • A.J.
    A.J. Member Posts: 257
    Options
    Heatway tubing

The black tubing is call onix and I never had a problem with it but then I stick to low temp.
  • Brad Notter
    Brad Notter Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Entran 3

I have approx 500' of E-3 in my house in staple up configuration with a max temp of 140 degrees off a thermostatic mixing valve p/s off a cast iron boiler. It has been in for 8 years, and just this summer I completely drained the system to replace and repipe a few cast iron radiators. The water was as clear as the day it went in, although the smell was a little different.
This discussion has been closed.