Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat loss calculation question.

Options
is OK if the plan is truly open. However, for accuracy and distrubution, I would calculate each room separately so that each has the correct amount of radiation. Draw an imaginary neutral boundary between the rooms of course.

The sum of total heat losses is the same, but you have an opportunity to do it the best way for not much more effort.

Comments

• ralman
    ralman Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Calculating heat loss

How do you calculate the heat loss for a main living area where the living room, dining room and kitchen are open to each other? I calculated mine as one large room and wanted to know if that is the correct method. Also, I have an interior hallway which calculates a 189 BTUH heat loss. There is a 10' cast iron baseboard in the hallway. I am thinking of removing it altogether. Do you think that would be a good/bad idea? My floor layout is attached.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options

The object of the heat loss is to get the correct size boiler and enough radiation to do the job. It is important not to oversize the boiler for best efficiency however if an addition to the house is planned or a large domestic hot water load (whirlpool tub) etc is installed you may want to make an allowance for that.

As far as the radiation is concerned installing more than is necessary may allow you to run a lower water temperature which is considered a good thing provided that changes in the boiler piping are made (if needed) to accomidate it.

In an open floor plan you should calculate the rooms seperatly as Brad pointed out, however you don't need to "nit pik" the radiation. Try to get the radiation as close to the heat loss (for each room) as you can realizing that you can't always make it perfect. Kitchens for example are usually tough to get enough wall space for radiation.

ED
This discussion has been closed.