Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best digital manometer

Options
Sorry not to be around before now, Buddy- (finishing up the Vitodens at my Susan's, just about there now.... :) )

The 477 I have is about six years old and does not have a USB feature- Next One! But I use it for spot testing in the field, stairway pressurization testing and to corroborate balancing reports.... (Ever seen a "drive by" balancing report? :)

Sorry, cannot help you on the finer points of the instrument you desire, Cosmo. But the range seems fairly wide, depending on what the scale is you intend to read. Any instrument accurate to 1 or 2% of scale will benefit from having a smaller scale to begin with. Mine is 0-10 inches positive or negative. My normal range of usage is in the 0.05-0.35 inch range at the low end (space pressurization) and up to 6 or 7 inches for air handlers, so I use a 10 inch I think it is. For gas pressure I use a 0-10 inch Dwyer Magnahelic by the way.

Comments

• John McArthur_2
    John McArthur_2 Member Posts: 157
    Options

What is the best digital manometer for testing negative pressure gas valves? I am using a UEI EM200 now and it is a bit touchy. Makes adjusting the negative pressure gas valves a pain.

What are you guys using?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options

Just my opinion. Forget the digital and use a manometer. If you need to read low pressures an inclined manometer works great.

A manometer is a collum of water (or fluid) and is one instrument that dosen't lie. I have not seen a digital one yet that remains accurate.

Ed

Go to the"Dwyer" website thay make all different types.
  • Jim Bergmann_2
    Jim Bergmann_2 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Manometer

If you want somthing reliable and simple, this will do the trick. I have been using these in the shop while teaching kids for the past two years, they are very reliable. I have never spilled the gauge fluid out of it yet! (not required)

Testo 506-3
    (0-4/80"H2O)
    testo 506, differential pressure meter, incl. connection hoses and battery, small and simple differential pressure meter with a switchable measurement range is ideal for tuning heating systems and burners (measures gas flow pressure and flue draft).

5 switchable units: hPa/mbar, mmH2O, mmHg, inH2O, psi
    Magnetic holder and suspension eye on the rear
    Soft rubber housing protection
    0.15/0.23 in. hose connections
    Press on putton to Zero

Probe type Pressure probe
    Meas. Range 0 to +4 inH2O
    Accuracy (absolute) ±0.01 inH2O (0 to +0.4 inH2O)
    ±1.5% of rdg. (+0.4 to +4 inH2O)
    0.4 inH2O + 1% of rdg. (>4 inH2O)
    Probe type Pressure Probe
    Meas. Range +4 to +80 inH2O
    Accuracy (absolute) ±0.4 inH2O ±1% of rdg. (4 to 80 inH2O)
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

I tested a Laars Endurance with a neg pressure valve with my Bacharach fyrite pro 125 and it was a snap. Tested everything else while I was at it.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • hvacfreak
    hvacfreak Member Posts: 439
    Options
    Dwyer

I have the Dwyer digital manometer ( kit in the Grainger Catalog , not sure of the model ). 0-20" WC...it is one of the nicest things I have ever done for myself. No red liquid to spill in the truck , no need to carry 10 different Magnahelic , readings you can take to the bank , etc. This is a rather pricy investment for what it does , but if you have alot of critical measurements to take , it is well worth it. I also like the Richie gas pressure gauges , and the Dwyer draft gauge ( with the little ball ) , lol. Fluid manometers are great in mechanical rooms , and when you need to go into an occupied space , they just drag you down.
  • Brad White_118
    Brad White_118 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Dwyer 477

I think is the one you mean. I love mine. Reads pressure of course and with the Pitot tube, velocity for volume. Self calibrating (zeroing), accurate and repeatable. My large acrylic block fluid manometer is a mainstay in mechanical rooms as you suggest.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    manometers

I have both the Dwyer and the Testos digitals, night and day difference between the 2. The Dwyer is in a machined aluminum case and is a high quality piece of equip. The Testo is ok but I just had one go bad in 13 months. My dwyer is 4 yrs old and still very accurate. jmho.
  • John McArthur_2
    Options

Did I miss something in the specs for the testo or does it not read negative pressure?

When I set up the Endurance, I got the gas valve as close as my UEI would let me and made my final adjustments based on combustion tests. Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the Dwyer and Testo equip. My boss bought the UEI for me but I am willing to buy my own equipment if it is superior.

My opinion is that you can't be a professional with inferior equipment.
  • John McArthur_2
    Options

Just checked the Dwyer site and found the 478-0 model for $135. That's not too bad IMO.

Thanks
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    Dwyer 477

This thread has great timing

I just destroyed my Testo digital manometer. I was able to find blame in the fact that it is too small, and never heard it fall under my bumper. Then of course I backed right over it. I only know because I saw the roadkill carcass as I was finished backing up.

The instrument seemed to work ok. however I think it is too small, and there is no case to protect it in my instrument storage compartment in my utility body. And accuracy is questionable on low pressure readings. Not repeatable on a couple instances.

I am looking at the Dwyer 477 as Brad White mentioned. looks pretty cool, and stores 40 readings, optional USB connection w/ software, and you can buy a storage case w/ needed accessories. Nice accuracy, and zeros itself. Pricey, but without the right instruments, there is always a question......is that reading accurate?

Brad, if you had to pick one of the USB models for field use which would it be? I was thinking the 0-40 WC.

Cosmo
  • Jim Bergmann_2
    Options
    reads both positive and negative

> Did I miss something in the specs for the testo

> or does it not read negative pressure?

>

> When I

> set up the Endurance, I got the gas valve as

> close as my UEI would let me and made my final

> adjustments based on combustion tests. Thanks

> for the replies. I'll check out the Dwyer and

> Testo equip. My boss bought the UEI for me but I

> am willing to buy my own equipment if it is

> superior.

>

> My opinion is that you can't be a

> professional with inferior equipment.

• Jim Bergmann_2
    Options
    reads both positive and negative

Yes it reads both positive and negative, plus I think the smaller size is an advantage. All digital monometers are temperature compensated. If you keep it in your top shirt pocket, it will always be at the temperature that it will operate most accurately at. When it is stored in the truck, it will drift as it warms. If you look at the Dwyer it is also has similar operating characteristics. With the duel scale it is much more accurate. With all digitals it is important to press the Zero button prior to each measurement if you want very high repeatability.

Every instrument made for measurement analog or digital has an ideal operating temperature range. Many are also calibrated for sea level. Testo sells 1000’s of 506-3 monometers per year with very few problems. I do not however recommend running it over.

By the way, if you have a Testo combustion analyzer you do not need to even buy one, the draft gauge in the 325M, 325, and 330 is duel scale at +-16” and +- 80”wc
  • Arthur
    Arthur Member Posts: 216
    Options

I imported a Dwyer 475 Mark 111 from the US several years ago and have it sitting in front of me now, Problem I found with it is goes though batteries like they're going out of fashion,
    Every time I picked it up I'd have to put a new battery in it.
    Now have a DHI PPC3 manometer and it onlt needs a new battery every few months.
  • Brad White_139
    Brad White_139 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    -

Ooops- Double post...but sorry you backed over your Testo. Ouch.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Laser Chop saw guide

Not that it improved my carpentry skills any, but I recently bought a laser guide for my chop saw. It came in a nice little case that (to me) is totally useless, because why would someone want to take the laser disk off the saw?

Any way, I didn't want to throw it away so I trew it on the workbench.

When I got my testo 325, I fussed because there wasn't anything except for the box to carry it around in, along with all the tubes and assorted fittings. Then the light bulb went off!
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Still not quite right

I have a bunch of air lines and fittings that get crammed into the case, but it's a lot better than using a ziplock bag.
This discussion has been closed.