Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The All American Boiler

Options
Mitch_4
Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955

Comments

• Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    The All American Boiler

I just installed the new Utica UB95M-200 mod-con boiler, and I was really impressed with the quality construction of this boiler. The installation and startup was a breeze, and with the HIGHEST AFUE rating at 95%, this boiler should give the Germans a run for their money. You really should check out this boiler, the Utica name has a decades long track record. Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options
    install

Nice to see you Bob. Neat looking job. How did you get the SSU(SuperStor Ultra) tappings to look straight?

Must have been hell to keep that floor looking nice and shiney.

Was this an economy job? No isolation flanges?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Options
    economy job?

I spent a small fortune on apollo ball valves. I don't use isolation valves on the pumps, because the pumps usually last decades before you have to change them out, by that time the packing on the isolation valves are usually leaking and look like crap. Even with isolation valves, when replacing a pump you still get a slug of air that should be purged, right? I set up isolation on each individual zone. What do you mean by SSU tappings? Thanks for the kind words, it is good to talk to you again Ted. Bob Gagnon

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Nice!

I like how you brought all the drains to one spot, that's a really neat way you arranged them. I presume that the aquastat in the SSU will be attached at some point? Or how does the Utica know that there is a demand for hot water heating?

I also like you supported the pipe, hung the expansion tank, etc.

I am somewhat surpised not to see a drip leg for what I think is the boiler gas supply (pipe coming out of floor with gas shutoff)? Or is it hidden behind the unit?

Again, thanks for sharing, and it will be interesting to see how this boiler performs. I bet you have a very happy homeowner on your hands!
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options
    nice

Impressive, Bob.

Constantine, I don't think he wired it yet, the aquastat, and the circulators.
    Good pick up on the gas , but do we really need those anymore?

I too like the drains.

Options
    Thanks, Con

I took this picture before the electrician showed up, you know how those guys can be. The drip for the gas is in the basement where the gas riser comes up. The homeowner was very happy, I couldn't believe how easy it was to sell the higher priced mod-con. They ran and got their camera and each took their picture with the boiler, as soon as I got it out of the box. I doubled the amount of baseboard on the first floor, and yesterday I was there and the heat was running at 120 degrees. These people were in the flood, 2 houses down from me, and I ran a hose from my solar tank to give them hot water while they were remodeling, for almost 2 months. Good thing it was in the summer there was plenty of hot water for everyone. Bob Gagnon

• Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    Thanks

Nice loking installation Bob. Glad to hear it was as simple as they say.

Any additional information you can share? did you use the OR? make programming changes any unexpected difficulties?

any additional info would be appreciated as I am looking forward to my first install of one of these.

Mitch
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options
    sorry

I'm sorry, I just thought you had to scale back on extras. Again, nice work.

• Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    I like the looks

of the boiler. Very nice and neat install. What is the input on this? 95,00 or 200,000 btuh? WW

Options
    don't be sorry

Ted, I'm just explaining why I don't use ISO flanges, someone else can reply back why they do , thats how we all learn. Bob Gagnon

Options
    Thanks, guys

for the kind words. I used the outdoor reset, and I was worried about it because I am not good with electronic controls, but this was all set up, I only had to do a combustion test and a gas pressure test. I had to adjust the gas pressure up. Other than that this boiler started up all by itself. This boiler modulates from 90,000 to 200,000 BTU'S. The 95 is for the AFUE rating. The burner is real small, with only about a 1/2" flame, but the boiler and superstor heated so fast I couldn't believe it. I can see how this boiler will save a lot of money. Bob Gagnon

• Tombig_2
    Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Utica/Dunkirk

That boiler impressed the heck out of me at ISH. They designed and cast their own aluminum block and it looks a lot beefier than the others. They had a cutaway so I got to really inspect the construction. Low pressure drop so P/S isn't required. Nice condensate setup. Same HW controller as Ultra, Burnham, and others. Looks easy to service. The engineering looks to be well thought out. Looks to be a winner.
This discussion has been closed.