Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Automatic versus Manual Water Feeding

Russell_4
Russell_4 Member Posts: 4
I am on a single-pipe steam system that works great. However, the automatic water feeder on my boiler just went out. The local boiler people say a new one will cost $500-$700. Looking around HeatingHelp.com, I see that automatic feeders can lead to system flooding. Does it make sense to only have a manual feeder? I always added water using the manual button on the automatic feeder as part of the weekly de-gunking routine, but I am worried about leaving a manual feeder valve open. I guess this boils down to two questions:

1. Is it safe to operate the boiler without an automatic feeder (manually feeding water and relying on the low water cutoff if there is a catastrophe)?

2. If it is safe, are there "spring operated" manual feed valves that will lessen the probability of leaving the valve on?

(Can anyone recommend a boiler repair shop in the Norfolk, VA area?)

Comments

• Sam G._2
    Sam G._2 Member Posts: 17

Manual water feeding forces you to pay attention to your boiler and the required maintenance. You seem to be doing this already. Most people only remember to add water when the boil "goes low", usually at 1:00 in the morning. Replacing the feeder on an existing boiler should not cause any problems. There is also the question of how much make-up water your system needs. Manual feeding allows you to guage how tight your system is (unless the new feeder has a built in water meter.) All else being equal, it becomes a matter of price vs. convienence.
  • FRANK_24
    FRANK_24 Member Posts: 80
    auto feeder

The Hydrolevel VXT feeder has a built-in water meter which will let you know how much make-up water is added automatically. Use a separate hand feed valve for manual feed. Been using them for years w/o problems.
  • Steve_126
    Steve_126 Member Posts: 19

What happens if you have a probe type LWCO with an automatic water feeder when the probe gets covered in mud/gunk. Would the LWCO trigger the auto feeder to keep adding water because the circuit is broken causing a flood.
  • Russell_4
    Russell_4 Member Posts: 4
    Post-Mortem on Auto Water Feeder

I managed to get the feeder working to where I could feed water manually by dismantling the part with the transformer (melting plastic had fused around the metal). I have been feeding water manually for a couple of months now. The main drawback is that I found out that I wasn't watching it as closely as I thought! There have been two separate times that I have woken up to a very cold house because the water went below the low water cutoff. I figure this is minor when compared to a potentially stuck-on water feeder.
This discussion has been closed.