Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil-McLain CGa versus CGs...

Got chimeney in good shape? I'll go with the cga boiler, less parts to go wrong and as other say, fan noise can be bothersome to some people...

Comments

• ronyD
    ronyD Member Posts: 9
    Weil-McLain CGa versus CGs...

CGa is a gas boiler for natural draft venting while the CGs is a gas boiler for direct vent (sealed combustion). One contractor quoted me the CGa and the other the CGs. The AFUE ratings differ slightly- CGa standing pilot= 81 or eletronic ignition = 84 ; CGs = 84.6.

which is better choice?
  • frank_25
    frank_25 Member Posts: 202
    Both are good for the money...

Both non-mod-con. The"s" series has a fan induced flue allowing for direct vent, no chimney. However don't install them in a hall closet near a bedroom. The fan noise has been known to keep people awake.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    ronyd

Both boilers are good. The difference between them as far as AFUE goes is marginal. The CGs-4 is 84.6% and the CGa-4 is 81.7%. If you were quoted the same price I'd go with the CGs only because it will give you the ability to direct vent it (whenever it becomes necessary), wereas you can't do the same with the CGa because thats strictly an atmospheric appliance requiring a chimney. Just be sure the installer uses the "special" venting system required by the manufacturer (see the installation instructions).

By the way, the CGa-4 does come with electronic ignition as well (option) and boosts your number to 84%.

Robert O'Connor/NJ

This discussion has been closed.