Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Corn Boiler and Domestic hot water

b young
b young Member Posts: 28
Have a customer who is thinking of installing a corn boiler and wants to add a hot water coil above his furnace, heat the garage floor heat, and heat his domestic hot water. He has a new 80 gallon electric water heater and wants to continue to use it so when the boiler is not going he still has hot water. What is the best way to use the water heater and still have the corn boiler heat the domestic hot water. I was thinking of a plate heat exchanger or and indirect ahead of the electric but money is also some what of an issue? What do you guys think?

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Right you are

some sort of HX will be needed. Some of those bio boilers have options for a tankless coil to be installed.

I would think a plate HX would be a small part of the price he paid for that boiler, etc.

The Taco HX block would also work, a bit of an over kill with the Taco control. I believe Flat Plate builds a simple DHW HX module. Also many of the solar module manufactures have a module to do what you need.

Most of the outdoor wood furnace manufactures offer those long tube thermosiphon HX. possibly the least expensive option. Check www.aqua-therm for one.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.