Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil or Gas heat

Options
Steve L.
Steve L. Member Posts: 35
The one advantage gas has over oil is you don't have to install a new above ground tank. There is also less maintanance in a gas boiler. It is a matter of your prefference. There are good oil boilers, and good gas boilers. But I do recomend getting rid of that underground oil tank. It can be a nightmare if it starts to leak.

Comments

• Wildmushrm
    Wildmushrm Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Oil versus Gas heating

I am looking to purchase a nice home that has an underground oil tank. I've just had the soil and tank inspected for leaks and everything came back fine. The home is 38 years old, so the furnace and the buried tank are as well. Someone recommended that I change to gas since the furnace and oil tank are on their last days. The gas lines are marked on the street so the switch can be made with minimum work. My question is should I switch to gas or should I just purchase a new above ground oil tank? I'm not sure if I would also have to replace the furnace if I keep the oil.
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options
    And remember

That if you get upset with your oil dealer you can call around but with gas your stuck for life, that said you can get boilers that will take both type burners and swap according to price. That said beware of hidden fees in your gas bill that are not included in the base price.
This discussion has been closed.