Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulating Heating Ducts

Options
and I guess by all the answers we are still looking for a Guinea Pig to bring us the real data are you that person???

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=39667&mc=7#Message269252

Comments

• Steve_129
    Steve_129 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Insulating Heat Ducts

I am looking at a product call nansulate by Industrial Nanotech that says when applied to heating ducts and pipe will create an insulating layer which will assist with heat loss.
    This product is also usable on interior walls and ceilings to help fight heat loss. Does anyone have experience with this product? I am also looking at products from Hytech.
    Any advice is appreciated.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

I struck out finding any object information regarding the product on the web. Everything points back to the manufacturer or their press releases, including the rather strange sounding "Hydro-NM-Oxide".

With a claim of an r-value of between 10 and 13 per inch, it is an exceptional insulator. But with a STATED 3-coat applied thickness of between 0.0045" to 0.0075" (4.5 - 7.5 mils) such amounts to a MAXIMUM r-value of 0.075 for the product when applied as recommended.

Interesting to me however is the claim of substantial reduction in radiant transfer. Semi-translucent and "nano-honeycomb" surface make me believe it might be relatively low in emissivity compared to most common coatings & construction materials. Something tells me that the 60°F "average" reduction in temperature they claim comes from IR thermometers--not from direct measurement. While they say it can be overcoated, the surface would then have the emissivity of the FINAL coating and would destroy what is likely the best thermal benefit of the product.

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

I'm broke right now, otherwise I'd buy a gallon of the high-temp version and paint a toaster oven. One of their press releases claims that it made previously dangerously hot surfaces "safe". Of course they don't mention the DURATION of contact that remained "safe"...
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options
    So Mike

are you saying that would be good to paint my oversized radiators with:-)
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

Aluminum paint would be a lot cheaper and easy to apply...
This discussion has been closed.