Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Plumber Protects The Health Of Our Nation

Options
Alex,

In Illinois, OSHA is operated by the Feds. Here in Minnesota, we are a state run group. That said, I can't begin to guess why it apparently was not pursued. Hopefully, the local AHJ will enforce codes there.

Larry

Comments

• Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    Options
    My jaw dropped

and is still on the floor.

I get these OSHA news clips every day and read through the usual stuff about roofers falling and workers losing hands in machines and it all gets so routine. ( A sad statement in itself)

But I read this one:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/top/2_1_AU17_NICOR_S10917.htm

and I am very blown away by this. This isn't just boiler water mixing with potable supplies. Which is certainly bad enough. This is methylene chloride which is, if you don't know, one of the worst chemicals that you can be exposed to. It has its' very own OSHA standard and we target workplaces that might be using it.

I just don't know what to say. This story is so very sad and troubling, it amazes me to no end.

As with most news articles, there are many unanswered questions here, and without first hand knowledge, I refrain from pointing fingers, but my gut says that this company could have done more.

Backflow prevention. We can't live without it.

Thank you all for the thought and effort you put in every day to protect everyone.

Larry
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    That is bad news indeed.

many commercial size light industrial or multiple dwelling dorms hotels etc usually have a separate system altogether for keeping things ship shape in the boiler room.

vacuum breakers are important for similar reasons...not all these air assisted bath tubs are the same either....

hose attachments in mop sinks ...there are quite a few means of cross contamination.....

that stuff had a "Taste" as an alert...crobes might not....no one envys your job Larry , that is for sure.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Options
    If anyone has the opportunity

Please get certified in the testing/inspection of backflow preventers, since many of us install them anyway, and, I used to have that poster years ago, and there was another one in a different style, an apprentice making a lead joint as I remember. They were issued by American-Standard, and I would like to get one if they are still being made.
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 422
    Options
    OSHA

Larry,

Given what was happening, why did OSHA close the case once the mc level dropped to "legal" limits? With all the sick employees and the city's citation, wouldn't it be within OSHA's purview to pursue the causes and responsibilities?

Not finger pointing but curious as to OSHA's mandate...

Alex
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
  • Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_1
    Options
    That's a tough read

As a NEWWA certified tester of BFP's, that's a tough article to read & pretty astounding circumstances - in more ways than one if accurately reported.

Locally, our water co surveys and requires BFP's be installed on the service line. From that point forward, they absolve themselves of any interior responsibility. As a result, it's up to us to inform a customer if we spot a cross-connection (or the potential for one). We work in a number of factories and chemical plants and have installed numerous testible BFP's after the required unit at the service line.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get our local water co to require compliance with confined space entry for testing BFP's in pits - without success. It's not unusual for us to find pits with O2 levels below the alarm limits with our four-gas tester. They're worried any type of guidelines on their part would make them liable! Seems to me that once they know of a situation, and I've made them abundantly aware, they do become liable for failure to act if someone knowingly, or unknowingly, violated confined space entry safe practices and dies.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Scott Denny
    Scott Denny Member Posts: 124
    Options

Mikey
    Here's a link to a site where you can order the poster you mention.
  • Scott Denny
    Options

Mikey
    https://www.amstdmedia.com/merchandise/
  • Scott Denny
    Options

> Please get certified in the testing/inspection of

> backflow preventers, since many of us install

> them anyway, and, I used to have that poster

> years ago, and there was another one in a

> different style, an apprentice making a lead

> joint as I remember. They were issued by

> American-Standard, and I would like to get one if

> they are still being made.

Mikey
  • Scott Denny
    Options

> Please get certified in the testing/inspection of

> backflow preventers, since many of us install

> them anyway, and, I used to have that poster

> years ago, and there was another one in a

> different style, an apprentice making a lead

> joint as I remember. They were issued by

> American-Standard, and I would like to get one if

> they are still being made.

Mikey
  • Scott Denny
    Options
    The plumber protects the health poster

Mikey
  • Scott Denny
    Options
    The plumber protects the health poster

Mikey
    https://www.amstdmedia.com/merchandise
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Options
    confined space

Well Dave,

Sometimes you can lead a horse to water...but if the air has little oxygen, you can't keep em alive. Something for your water company to think about is the concept of "creating and controlling entity". Even if they don't send their own people down into pits, if they can be considered the general contractor (which they can), they are eligble for citations from OSHA. (and certainly if they send their people down there) But really, we are the little guy on the block when it comes to what hits the fan when people get killed on the job. Lawyers do make their living on these things.

By the way, one of my co-workers is looking into a recent confined space death where a fellow was working in a new sewer that was not connected to the rest of the system yet. About 30 feet deep and not enough O2 to let him get up the ladder.

If you don't test.............................

Stay safe,

Larry
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Options
    a little more

I dug a little deeper and it looks like a citation was proposed by the investigator but was not issued by the area office. If the powers that be don't think they can uphold a citation, they back off. Like any government agency, there is a lot that doesn't make sense.

Larry
  • my poster

My plumber poster is on the wall in my living room, and other complete set I got from American Standard at the state plumbing show last spring, I hope they have enough to go around at ISH show... Its so true that we protect the health of the nation and the inspectors are saying the other way around, I reminded them that plumbing profession was here way long before the goverment set up the health dept and its extortion fees...
This discussion has been closed.