Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Surprise torque...thanks ME!!

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
I broke off both brass tailpieces on 3 rads before trying surprise torque. Since then, I removed the tailpieces from 6 more rads with none broken!

Thanks, ME!!

Tim

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=387&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Brad White_122
    Brad White_122 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Funny Thing!

This weekend I installed 80% of the TRV's on my Susan's 1922 ARCO radiators. Super nice Macon Controls in all sizes...Dived right in and had the same situation....

Remembered seeing that post (which I did not think of as applicable to my upcoming task) but by osmosis, filed it away.
    Sort of like sneaking up on a glass of water to get a drink-

Thanks for the opportunity to pay homage to Mr. Eatherton..

Another thing I love about The Wall- the flow of information. So many posts have value far beyond one's immediate concerns. Thanks to Dan H!
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Surprise torque?

Enlighten us please. I haven't heard this one yet.
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    In short...

Say you have a condition where a long, drawn-out turn of a wrench tends to mangle the softer metal fitting (e.g.: a brass radiator nipple or spud embedded for years in cast iron).

Rather than prolong and destroy the nipple and have to pick out pieces of it, get the wrench nice and tight to the piece (after a squirt of WD-40 I would say) and give it a quick, short jerk to loosen. Catch it by surprise so to speak.

Analogous to the Dining Tablecloth trick I would say, a function of interia.

That is my take anyway.
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Yup

Fit your wrenchs to the offending part, put a little tension on said part and then give the wrenchs a sharp snap of pressure. Works a lot of times when a typical long tug won't do the trick. WD-40, Liquid Wrench etc will help also.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're welcome Tim...

And thanks to Mr and Mrs Holohan for the opportunity to make it happen. If it weren't for the Wall... Buy a brick and share in the love:-)

For those who missed it, what I said was

Conference: HeatingHelp.com's The Wall
    Forum: The Wall (For Heating Questions)
    Topic: any big ideas???

Date: September 07, 2006 10:30 PM
    Author: Mark Eatherton (@ hotmail.com)
    Subject: Suprise Torque...

is what I call it. You engage your spud wrench into the fitting, and snug it against the dogs, apply some pressure, then make a QUICK snap movement, and it breaks it loose.

You DON'T want to get a running start at it or you are guaranteed to shear off the pawls.

In the event that all else fails, you get good at doing sawzall surgery...

ME

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Just to add some more info

I have found the easyest way to remove spuds after the dogs have broken off, is to cut-off the nut. This exposes more of the spud and allows a full size pipe wrench to engage the union end of the spud. Makes it very easy for a brass spud to spin out of a cast iron radiator.

Now putting in the new "cheaper" spuds is a nother story. Those dogs always snap off.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.