Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil Mclain Boiler model P-468-WL has a LEAK

Options
Scott G
Scott G Member Posts: 2
I have a Weil Mclain Oil Fired Boiler model P-468-WL
that was purchased and installed in November 1988

I recently noticed that there is a water leak,
seems to be coming from the bottom of the Cast
Iron Sections, upon inspection, It seems that possible
one of the PUSH NIPPLES or Elastomer Seals are leaking ?

Can this be repaired ? Is it Warranted ?
Will Boiler Sealer Work ?
Any help will be appreciated, I would just hate
to have the expense to purchase a New Boiler..

Thanks, SG

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Replace the boiler

Once they start leaking it's usually all over. Try the Find a Professional page of this site to locate someone near you.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    leaker

I agree with Steamhead that it's best to replace it, but to answer your questions directly. Yes there is some warranty left. The boiler came with a limited 25 year warranty, so you would have some credit toward a new one available, but no labor. That's on you. It's probably been leaking for some time and corrosion has probably killed any chance of a fix. Sealer, if not petroleum based, will be temporary at best. The only way to determine the source and extent of the leak is to dismantle the boiler, and by the time that's done, your a long way toward the cost of a new one. The 68 series was a great boiler, but at it's age and with a leak, pursue replacement. Contact a Weil dealer and look into what credit you can receive. I assume from the model number you quoted this is a water boiler. The warranty on a steamer is only 10 years.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    leaker

I agree with Steamhead that it's best to replace it, but to answer your questions directly. Yes there is some warranty left. The boiler came with a limited 25 year warranty, so you would have some credit toward a new one available, but no labor. That's on you. It's probably been leaking for some time and corrosion has probably killed any chance of a fix. Sealer, if not petroleum based, will be temporary at best. The only way to determine the source and extent of the leak is to dismantle the boiler, and by the time that's done, your a long way toward the cost of a new one. The 68 series was a great boiler, but at it's age and with a leak, pursue replacement. Contact a Weil dealer and look into what credit you can receive. I assume from the model number you quoted this is a water boiler. The warranty on a steamer is only 10 years.

This discussion has been closed.