Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

False Water line or Raise Boiler

Options
gerry gill
gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
instead of raising the boilers..easier..just install flush out tees on the false water line and a way to hook up water to blow it out (boiler drain valve)..they work great.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=360&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
gwgillplumbingandheating.com
Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Comments

• Mark_35
    Mark_35 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    False Water line or Raise Boiler

OK we are getting down to the wire here. One more design decision. Thanks for all the help on previous questions.

Two pipe residential system. New boiler going in.
    Old boiler had water line at about 48". Dry returns and lowest point on steam main is 71". Drip traps (thermostatic) on steam mains are low (42") and used to be flooded. High point on wet return 32". New boiler water line is at 25" and LWCO is at 20".

To keep the wet return flooded I can raise the boiler 8 - 12" or put in a false water line. The false water line looks like it might be a bit fussy and I am leery of it (should I be?). If I raise the boiler should I go a full 12" to get the LWCO above the wet return or is 8" enough to get the normal water line above the wet return? I seem to have plenty of B dimension in either case. If I keep the boiler low and put in the false water line I will have more B (like 46"), but I am not sure I need it. Operating pressure was 0.5 psi with the old boiler.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Mark B

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    The wet return

must be wet at all times. That means the LWCO must be at or above it.

If the drip traps on the steam mains were flooded, they were really not doing anything (unless they were routed thru a Return Trap). The standing water in the return kept steam from entering it. If the return after the drip traps goes up into the Hartford Loop without anything else in between, you don't need those traps. Just make sure the drips go below the waterline before being connected together.

This should solve your A and B dimension issues.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mark_35
    Mark_35 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Main Drip Trap

The main drip trap was at the far end of the house and dumped into the riser from the dry return down to the wet return. I agree that it did nothing given the very high water line. If I lower the water line it will keep steam out of the dry return.

My original post sought responses on using a false water line versus raising the boiler. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options
    My only thought

is if you have the room why not raise it 1 four inch solid block just for working room, makes working condition much nicer.
This discussion has been closed.