Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Controls for new hydronic system

Options
Empire_2
Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
I know what you are doing and I think there are a few options from Honeywell Honeywell.com. You want complete control over you entire house from your little control room, as I call it.;-)

Radiators will sell if you get the right person whom needs them. It's like this,..When you want to sell them, nobody bites, but just after you scrap them everyone will say, "Damn, I would have taken them off your hands.;-)

The Slave as you call them is not the right term. Slave refers to: When 1 zone calls the slave zone in an offshoot area will also come on, thus "Slave. You mean Remote sensor with feed back to your central control panel in your master bed.

ORC very good idea for additional fuel savings.

Mike T.

Comments

• DennisK
    DennisK Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Controls for new hydronic system

Okay, I'm coming to the tail end of a new system install (Gas fired hydronic, 4 zones, baseboard).
    Anyone have suggestions for communicating thermostats? I would like to be able to control the other 3 zones from a master thermostat in my bedroom (with slave thermostats in each of the other zones), like my Carrier Infinity controls for my AC. In the future, I may be installing an outdoor reset.
    Also, I have all of these cast iron radiators. Should I just have them hauled away with the rest of the old system, or is it worth it to sell them. I'm in the Boston area
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Thermostat...

With out knowing the reason for slaving off Master bedroom. Better keep them seperate . Install the outdoor sensor and if the control you uses a indoor sensor.Install it in the the area with the largest load, or the North -West wing :)... Then let the other zones slave of of it...

Tip... always install the thermostat in the coldest heated area of that zone...Not in a unheated hallway as every electrican has be doing for the last 60 years...
  • DennisK
    DennisK Member Posts: 21
    Options

Thanks for the clarification. So where do I find a thermostat that allows for remote sensor with feedback?
  • chris_69
    chris_69 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    radiators?

I'm curious.. what kind of radiators are they and what would you hope to get for them? I'm in VT and currently suffering with forced air in my 1911 colonial revival. I hope to change over within the next year or so and cast iron radiators in reasonably good condition (I might refinish) are tops on the project list. I would be interested in pictures if you have them.

Thanks.
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options
    rads

I need some cast iron rads for a job in Cambridge. email me so we can talk.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • chris_69
    chris_69 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    radiators?

Dave- I dropped you an email.

Thanks
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

FAR from simple DIY thermostats, but the Tekmar Tn4 series will do most anything.

I may be wrong, but believe these thermostats are an INTEGRATED part of an overall boiler control system--in other words the thermostats "talk" to each other via a boiler controller. Outdoor reset, indoor reset or outdoor reset with indoor feedback are integral to the system.

Just my opinion, but too bad you chose to get rid of your iron radiators. Only highly conductive radiant panels can exceed their efficiency and comfort and you likely could have used them to produce a wonderfully efficient and suprememly comfortable system with room-by-room "zoning" for less than what you have and will spend to achieve something only remotely similar...
This discussion has been closed.