Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam System/Radiator Alternatives

Options
just make room for the radiator. That's the simplest way. If the old radiator was a column or large-tube type, using a small-tube rad will save some space while delivering ample heat. You can also find radiators in different shapes (tall rather than window-sill height, for example) which will give you more options.

If I had a dollar for every time I've been in a cold kitchen where the designer couldn't be bothered to leave room for a radiator, I'd be pretty rich.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Fred Fosnot
    Fred Fosnot Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Steam System/Radiator Alternatives

I am starting the design work on a fourth floor condominium project that has an existing steam heating system with perimeter radiators. Becuase the kitchen design and possibly some other areas use the entire perimter with cabinety/appliances, we loose the location for the traditional radiator.
    Are there alternative methods to radiate the heat to the room for this type of situation, such as cabinet toe-base exchangers, fan-unit exchangers, that we can use?

A wholesale tech rep, who recommended this site, suggested that it is possible to set up a HW distribution zone off a steam system. However, becuse this is a condominium ownership, any such work would need to be contained within the fourth floor condo unit.

Any and all help with this matter would be appreciated.
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    Depending on many factors...

May we assume this particular unit kitchen area will be gutted to the studs, where no insulation (or little) was present, you will put full insulation where none was before?

May we also assume the crappy windows formerly in place will be replaced and weatherstripped like mad with extremely energy efficient and well sealed replacements?

If you can answer "yes" to both questions, it is possible you will need no heat at all in a room where a stove, fridge, lighting and human occupation alone will impart roughly 1,000+ BTU's per hour to the area!

Allowing the nearest rad to the kitchen area to slightly over-radiate can also save the day.

Without further consideration, the problem may be easy to solve by doing nothing other than diminishing the heat losses to a point where the kitchen area is acceptable without any supplemental heating...
  • Tom Woodman
    Tom Woodman Member Posts: 15
    Options
    no radiator in kitchen

I confess that I pulled the radiator out of my kitchen about 3 years ago to make room for cabinets. I always meant to put some kind of heater in there, maybe an electric under cabinet unit that I saw a friend use. But, I've just never felt cold in the kitchen so I never bothered.

(I know. I owe Fred a buck.)
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Options
    High five, to the side, down low, too slow

The standard radiator is ideal for drying the tea towel, I think radiators have a deserved place in every kitchen.

One concept that will make the envy of every neighbor is to use Steamhead's round radiator. A shorter version of which could easily be built under the kitchen table. I would love sitting at that table.

Otherwise, underfloor concealed radiators are available, fin tubes in a through are available, radiators high up the wall work great, radiators dangling from the ceiling work great, radiators built into an enclosure within the kitchen cabinets will hide anything (don't forget the breathing holes)

This last concept of building an enclosure might work perfectly well with the existing radiation. The new cabinets can easily be built with the additional back space for the heat to go up, and openings in the toe space allow for the cold air to get to the radiators. We have one such set up in lab environment with cabinets against every wall.
This discussion has been closed.