Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air elimination

Options
Ken_40
Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
would be a fine choice.

Just remember, the circulater pump must be re-located/mounted so as to be "pumping away" from the PONPC (point of no pressure change). THAT point is the tee fitting where the expansion tank is connected to the system piping - or easier yet - the boiler block itself?

Some confusion exists when we say "pumping away." Some mistakenly believe it to mean "from the boiler." It in fact means from the PONPC. However, most times, the way boilers are piped, they can and usually are - one in the same.

Important nuance however!

Comments

• ralman
    ralman Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Air elimination

My monoflo hot water heating system is plagued with air and noise issues. I am interested in moving my circulator from the return to the supply and I am looking to add an air eliminator on the supply before the circulator. Which product to choose is my dilemma. I was comparing the taco literature for a taco air scoop, vortech, and a 4900 series air eliminator. I have checked prices for these and other brands and I assume they are priced according to their ability to remove air. Is my assumption correct? I have looked at some other brands, spirotherm, bell & gossett. Caleffi website did not seem user friendly for me. Reading the literature on these products is one thing, I am looking for a product that works extremely well based on your experience. What are the experts opinions? Thank you.
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    Save your money!

You probably don't need an air separator per se.

The best place to capture air is when the water is hottest, the flow the slowest and that place would be the boiler itself!

Chances are a tapping atop the boiler block is already there, ready for you to put a vent in - that - along with your already correct assumption that the circulater needs to be pushing AWAY from the expansion tank point of tie-in - will stop air contamination within the entire mono-flo system dead in its tracks!

When a top of the block tapping is present, that is ALWAYS the best place to capture system air.

Bleed it one time after making the repairs, put the boiler block vent in, and NEVER HAVE TO BLEED IT EVER AGAIN!
  • ralman
    ralman Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Thanks Ken!

Very interesting that you should mention the boiler tapping. After my first winter with these problems, I always wondered about the top boiler tapping. The decal next to the pipe plug states "use this tapping for air elimination". I took a chance and removed the pipe plug installed a taco hy-vent 400 and went through my second winter. This will be my third winter and I am learning more here, and reading books too. I want to move my circulator, and I am considering adding boiler bypass piping. Is taco hy-vent 400 good for the top boiler air elimination tapping?
This discussion has been closed.