Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding an in-floor radiant loop to existing baseboard heat

Options
Dave_75
Dave_75 Member Posts: 10
Greetings;

My house currently has baseboard water heat throughout including the kitchen and I am in the process of a remodel. I have already moved a heater or two and purged the boiler with no problems.

My question is as I am building an entirely new kitchen and I need to remove the existing baseboard heater, what would you recommend for heat ? I am thinking of simply tapping into the supply line and running tubing under the 1x6 subfloor instead of adding it on top so that my new kitchen floor remains the same level as the adjoining rooms ?

The floor will be stone or tile and is around 150 sq ft, does this sound like the wise thing to do ? My system does not have any zone controls unfortunately but hopefully it is balanced out with the current system of valves,

Length of PEX ? Any issues with introducing 200' into existing system ?

thanks for the advice !

Comments

• Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    We are just

working on a job like what you have there. It's a second story addition in Berkeley; Buderus radiators in all the rooms and they want radiant heating in the bathroom floor.

We are stapling tubing to the plywood and installing a Taco "i series" (setpoint type) mixing valve for that zone. The boiler will be a Muchkin with a Vision I controller.

I suppose you can do it the way you said as well; high temperature water through the tubing without plates. I get nervous, though. I had a runaway boiler once that melted the first ten feet of all the loops.

Don't go over 300' if you're using ½" PEX.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.