Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Inbalance of steam heat for a 2 story house

Options
Long before our ownership the kitchen radiation was removed. Originally then, there was slightly more on the main floor.

Would it help to add hot water baseboards on the first floor, using tempered boiler water?

Comments

• Ted Robinson
    Ted Robinson Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Inbalance of stem heat on a 2 story house

I have calculated the steam radiation total of 400 sq ft and it is about equal on the upper and lower floors. When the outside temperature goes below 20 above, the upper floor becomes 6 or more degrees hotter than the lower floor. Is this a characteristic of steam or is there something else going on. I have even thouoght about adding a hot water loop with baseboards for the lower floor.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Normally

we find more radiation on the ground floor, since some of the heated air will rise to the upper floors. Has any radiation been removed from the ground floor?
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    its also been my observation

that on some systems, the upper floor radiators actually stay warm, always, as the first floor radiators return to a cold state between cycles..what happens here is that air sitting over the recently 212 degree water gains heat from the water in the bottom of the boiler, rises, usually to the top floors..so the top floor radiators alternate between states of hot and warm, while the first floor radiators alternate between states of hot and cool..don't know if this is your case, but the remedy for it is thermostatic valves or vents on the second floor.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    second zone

maybe you could create a whole separate hot water zone for 1 st floor and plug existing connections. hot water zone off condensate.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    What I'd do

is put a radiator in the kitchen, and use thermostatic valves on the second floor bedroom rads. This would give the best heat distribution, and limit the heat in the bedrooms if needed.
This discussion has been closed.