Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A leak found at last!!!!

RoosterBoy
RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459
i'd like to dissuade you from the idea of repairing the leak....this is why, when you marry something old to something new ...someting,Has to give.

i applaud your persistence it is a great attribute of charater to have,.. only Is is,we have things that are designed for a tighter temp running range these days,and while it may sound strange they actually "pay thier way".

The hot rod is really savey about these newer boilers,they are fairly hardy things in thier own right .they are able to dial up and down to only what you really need to maintain the temps in your home.Another good thing about them is that they use outside air to burn the fuel and make a type of water in the "stove pipe" that is directed away to a drain thru some limestone. not to many btus get out of your house that way.

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    look familiar?

At least it wasn't freezing. A company here in town says they can replace all the copper fin tubes. The fins were totally full of junk, killing my efficiency I presume. Even pressure washed off, the leak is obvious.

Does anyone know if the unit is available as a whole?

Thanks to all who helped me find this problem!!!

Tim, SLC
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Ted Robinson
    Ted Robinson Member Posts: 126
    The white deposits

Can someone identify the white stuff seen in these photos? The fire side of my boiler was caked with it after shutting down my old steam boiler in the summer prior to this one. This year I kept the boiler fired at 100 degrees for the off season.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    There is a reason those fins

are full of junk like that. Something upstream has corroded and sprinkled down on that HX. Good chance it's some of the sheetmetal surrounding the boiler.

Possibly the flue piping, you MUST check this.

A hundred bucks says that boiler has been condensing!

I would HIGHLY recommend starting anew. Replacing those copper fin tubes will not solve what has caused that. A condensing boiler may be better suited to your system requirements.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco

The T/L unit is just over 20 years old, and it had a zone piped in 1/2 inch which made the boiler crackle and pop when that zone fired alone when I got the house. I re-piped that zone in 1" and the poping / crackling went away. Do you suppose 18 years of that had something to do with it plus the age? I would assume the zone undersizing was the problem. What do you suggest given these facts? (I will pull the vent apart and inspect it as well.)

I appreciate the advise!

T
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    junk

retro fitting that boiler may not be a good idea. i believe you need a new installion
  • Timco

So why replace the entire boiler if the fins can be replaced? What if I can get an entire new HX?

T.
  • Because...

you will get a brand spanking new boiler...

with a new heat exchanger
    with a new relief
    with a new circulator
    with a warranty
    with new burners
    with a new gas valve
    with a new t&p gauge
    with new insulation
    with new sheetmetal
    with some other stuff I've probably forgotten because it's late

and continue to do it all right and get:

a new expansion tank
    a new fill valve
    and whatever other goodies your system might need to make it the best damn system ever

take care of it, get it done right, be done with it, bask in the comfort, and sleep well for many winters to come with your new boiler
  • Joannie
    Joannie Member Posts: 96
    T/L MiniTherm

The assembly that you show in the pictures is available from Laars. It's the heat exchanger. (Note: That assembly has an ASME pressure rating and certification, and replacing individual tubes in the field does not meet that certification. So if that is what was suggested, I would advise you not to do that.)

Having said that, I agree with Hotrod. That boiler has obviously seen condensing, and even if you decide to replace the heat exchanger, the problem needs to be fixed. The other components on the boiler and in the system need to be checked thoroughly to determine if they need replacement, as well.

Let me know if you have questions. I can be reached at the email address associated with this post.

Joannie

Laars Heating Systems
This discussion has been closed.