Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard Enclosures in bathroom

Options
RoosterBoy
RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459
about twenty 5 years ago i painted the "baseboard"(convectors )covers with metallic blue and flourecent hippie yellow :)they still looky good :)

Comments

• Patchogue Phil_29
    Patchogue Phil_29 Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Baseboard Enclosures in bathroom

Hydronic baseboard enclosures in bathroom.... paint them or buy the supposedly rust proof ones?

Is it worth buying the rustproof ones?

Would painting a "regular" enclosure with rustoleum-type paint be the same or better?

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
  • Patchogue Phil_29
    Options

Yes, that would be nice. But right now I need to replace the covers for the baseboard. I've got a few weeks before the heat needs to get turned on.
  • Guy_6
    Guy_6 Member Posts: 450
    Options
    Bath Baseboard

Design Line baseboard has an all aluminum enclosure that holds up well in bathrooms and other high humidity enviorns. One slight downside is that it is only available in 1/2 inch tubing size, so a bypass may be necessary depending on the system.
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    Options
    With the excessive moisture

in a bathroom, I always find the rust bleeds through the paint. I think I'd rather put in a panel rad or cast iron BB. The panels have a nice baked on finish and the CI BB can take a good coat of high gloss paint better. (spray paint a couple of coats on for a longer lasting finish.)
  • Phil

The so called "special finish baseboard" only applies to the backer, cover and damper. The end caps and trim are still hand finished and don't get the special finish. That's why they are always the first to rust or corrode. I refinished all of mine in the bathrooms by applying a couple of heavy coats of clear coat first. One of my sons refers to the rusty baseboard by the toilet areas as being the victim of either "Bad Aim" or "Short Anatomy". I think he has a valid point there!

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Patchogue Phil_29
    Options
    clear coat

So, you spray clear coat over the factory paint? No extra rustoleum paint first?

Sometimes no matter how good you aim, the splash-back goes everywhere. Too much pressure? :-)

Recall that Jack Nicholson movie where his wife always made him sit down to "P"?
  • steve_106
    steve_106 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I haven't tried them, but the powder coated, cast aluminum baseboard covers advertised on http://www.go-overboard.com/renovations.htm appear to be well suited to bathrooms.
This discussion has been closed.