Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

checking a boiler for a leak

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
On a Teledyne Larrs boiler, where does one check for leaks. I have the combustion chamber front off, and it is dirty and rusty inside the chamber, but no water present when firing or cooling. I took one accessable side off, but onle found a cast iron side with several plugs in it, allen wrench type. If I isolate the boiler, ir drops pressure while I watch the gauge.

Also, should I swap this 'dead horse' out, what is a good name brand to replace it with? It's a JVS160H 131,000 BTU unit...pretty small.

Thanks,

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Patchogue Phil_28
    Options
    leaks

Does it only lose water while firing? Could be that something expands with the heat and gets vaporized into steam thus disappearing.

Can you pressurize while it is cold? Might reveal the leak. I had a slow leak that I could not find. Pressure would drop and settle at 11 pounds. When I had the boiler shut down for other reasons, I found the leak. The supply side boiler drain stem seal leaked slow. The water leak evaporated quickly by the boiler heat so you could never see any drips. And it made no noticeable steam.

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

That is just what I am talking about....last season I knew something was up...or down...so I filled to near 30# all summer long, and it dropped to about 15# or so in a week, then stayed. This year, it is set to 15, goes to 20 hot, but loses everything in about a night or so. I isolated the boiler cold, and it drops slower, but all the way to 0. If I isolate it hot, it dives in 2 minutes to 0.

It was much better after I purged as Weezbo suggested, but still gets to 0. Should I just buy a new one?

T
    Just a guy running some pipes.
This discussion has been closed.