Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with Onix staple up and solid Brazilian Cherry floors

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
of the wood you have selected. They are the ones that have to stand behind the product.

Most wood manufactures have not to exceed temperatures.

Also check the various hardwood websites. They all have excellent info on radiant and hardwoods.

www.launstein.com is an excellent site for actual wood testing info done in their lab.

www.NOFMA.org

www.NWFA.org

The RPA has an excellent Flooring Guide available also.

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Steve Kendrish
    Steve Kendrish Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Help with Onix staple up and solid Brazilian Cherry floors

I'm currently expecting a detailed quote from a local contractor for Onix staple-up for the 1st floor of my 1902 house. I currently have hot water baseboard that is insufficient. Anyway, the local Onix distributor's engineer was here a few weeks ago to do a heat-loss and see my installed boiler and check out the joists and subfloor. He didn't seem to have a problem with the Brazilian Cherry hardwood floors in my parlor and dining room. Only asked me if there was tar paper underlayment. Now I'm watching "This Old House" this afternoon and the flooring contractor says that Solid Brazilian Cherry can't be done over radiant. It's only possible with an engineered hardwood (ply) floating floor. Now I'm worried about what to do. I already sold my pellet stove and am not looking forward to a 60 degree first floor. (max when the outside temp gets in the teens) Any thoughts or experience would be very helpful. Thanks a bunch.
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    what was....

the reason why he said that it could not be done?
    I did one about a year ago...prefinished Braz. Cherry, Wirsbo 3/8 tube with joist trac plates.....worked fine.
    Why does the baseboard not work? kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Andrew Hagen (ALH)
    Options
    This Old House

That's simply wrong. Though it is best to keep hardwood temps as low as possible.

Is there no way to add more baseboard? That's going to be the most economical way to handle the problem. There are different models of baseboard with significantly more output than standard baseboard. Argo Panel Trim is built well and may take care of the problem without even worrying about the floors.

-Andrew
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    ???

Barking up the wrong cherry tree perhaps but where do you live?? If it was me I would be tightening up my house if i couldn't get it over 60 . You should be able to find a Comfort Consultant in your area with a blower door and possibly an infared camera to warm your place right up . Are you sure the heating system you have is working properly?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • TJ
    TJ Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Brazillian cherry is very stable

Brazillian cherry is one of the more stable woods - it has about a 15% mineral content. I have 2000 S.F. of it in my house over in slab radiant floor heat; I haven't had a problem. It's beutiful wood.
  • leo g_13
    leo g_13 Member Posts: 435
    Options
    I'll be able to answer this one much better after this winter.

we just put the exact same system "on" about 2 weeks ago. Onix under Brazilian Cherry. Tekmar 363, 366, and RTU's. I really don't anticipate any problems.

Leo G

This discussion has been closed.