Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New boiler suggestions for Long Island home

Options
to convert to gas , take a look at this Newsday article -

http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bztopstk4898655sep20,0,4201185.story

But you ask for most energy efficient and I would think the modulating / condensing gas boilers outperform their condensing oil counterparts . Pricing is not discussed here , but mod/con systems are not cheap .

If you decide to stay with oil or use a conventional gas boiler , they make direct vent models for both . But I would highly suggest lining the existing chimney .

I might be biased toward oil , but most of L.I. is too :) If it was my home I would look into a Burnham MPO or a Buderus boiler . Both can handle the lower return temperature of radiant ( by control logic or design or both ) . Both are cold start boilers , no need to maintain temp all year round . The Buderus can be retrofitted with a gas burner if oil prices skyrocket .

Add an indirect heater and outdoor reset and see the oil bills shrink . And you retain the right to switch suppliers if things sour .

Comments

• Phil Simon
    Phil Simon Member Posts: 9
    Options

House located middle of Long Island New York.
    I added on to my house and need to upgrade the now leaking boiler. Currently use an oil fired boiler and seperate oil fired hot water heater that were put in used about 15 years ago. Was considering switching to gas direct vent as the chimney is old and unlined. Current oil tank does not leak but looks like it is getting old. Have gas in house for dryer and stove.
    Original house is well insulated but still drafty ( next on my list to try to fix) unheated basement,first floor -approx 600 sq ft-hot water baseboard on seperate thermostat, 2nd floor-approx 500 sq ft- hot water baseboard on seperate thermostat. Unheated attic.
    New part of house, basement radiant heat on own thermostat,1st floor-approx900 sq ft- radiant heat with seperate room thermostats, 2nd floor -approx 900 sq ft- radiant with seperate room thermostats,unheated attic. Exterior walls are made of ICF's and insulation in ceiling is the Icynene spray in foam, windows are low-e type.
    Would like to switch to all radiant later as I remodel original part of house.
    I plan on being in house "a while" so I would like to go with the best and most energy efficent system I can afford. What should I be looking at? How do you compare one brand, type to another. What are some of the maintanance and service concerns? Open for suggestions and comments good or bad.
    Thanks and looking forward to reading everybodys ideas and comments.
This discussion has been closed.