Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flow rate

A.J. Member Posts: 257
I am looking for a circuit setter for an injection bridge that I don't need a differential pressure gauge to set the flow. I know they are out there somewhere because Siggy was talked about them but I sure can't find them. I have tried B & G, Taco and Watts no luck. Any help would be appreciated


  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790

    You mean a globe valve?

  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Hi \"AJ\"......

    If your not concerned about flow why not just use a brass ball valve, set it and take off the handle?....Just curious,..Why is the diff not critical? Is it just like a non critical room or something?

    Any way's,...I know for a fact that B&G has them. Did you try bellgossett.com?

    Hope this helped.

    Mike T.
  • A.J.
    A.J. Member Posts: 257

    I just found them on ITT wed site I didn't want to use a ball valve to much turbulence. This is going in a variable speed injection bridge ,instead of a piped bypass right of the boiler I do those all the time (for boiler protection).
    This is a new boiler in my own place so I'm going with a Taco PC 705 it will do out door reset and control my injection pump also while protecting the boiler from running in a sustained condensing state.
    I wanted to set my flow rate at 4 G.P.M. which is that I need at design so I can get the full range out of the pump and be able to fine tune it.
    I am a fan of Siggy if you cant tell and I have been wanting to try this on a old cast iron system for awhile now. I just think that the piped boiler bypass is a one shot deal set it and forget it. If I screw up the only one I'm in trouble with is Angela, better not screw up.
  • Brad White_124
    Brad White_124 Member Posts: 9
    Macon, Tour and Andersson

    And other balancing valves of the type are excellent.

    All you probably need is a 1/2" (Cv=3; 4.0 GPM at 4 feet DP when fully open by the TA "wheel"), or a 3/4" size (Cv=7; 4.0 GPM at less than half a foot DP -also on the wheel).

    I think if you have at least 4 feet differntial (1.7 psig), I would go with the 1/2" for tighter control and less throttling going in.

    I know you said you do not want to use a gauge to set this up, but the flow characteristics seem to be what you need, good linear flow to adjustment. These valves (wye pattern variable orifice metering valves) are as close to linear as one can find.

    All of the valves in this size use at least four full turns from fully open to fully closed. That is 1440 degrees of linear turning (360 x 4). Compare that to 90 degrees in a ball valve where only the last 45 degrees does anything, or a globe valve with maybe two turns and the valve seat is flat, not tapered hence not linear.

    I like all of these wye-pattern valves but really like the Macon valves best (Tunstall here in MA carries them). They use a full ten (10) turns open-to-closed, 3600 degrees of turning, even in the small sizes. Hard to beat that for adjustment. Also there is a distinct "click" you can feel at each full position. The PT ports are offset which makes things easier too.

    So instead of using a gauge, use temperature and a nice digital gauge with 0.1 degree resolution or better. Temperature is where it counts anyway! Remember that the PT ports are in place for at least one temperature measurement on the valve itself.

    My $0.02

  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Flow Setter

    It almost sounds like you are describing a visual flow indicator. (Flow-setter) I have been using quite a few from Istec, but have recently purchased some from Watts-Radiant. Not sure if this is what you are after. Visually identify the preferred flow, set the flow rate with an hex-wrench,and walk away.



    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Donny
    Donny Member Posts: 37

    generally ball and gate types are not recommended for flow adjustment, try a globe or needle style
This discussion has been closed.