Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

standing pilot vs electronic ignition

Options
Lucky for you guys we can no longer buy boilers with permanant pilots. They went a few years ago in the UK.

Comments

• Tom Woodman
    Tom Woodman Member Posts: 15
    Options
    standing pilot vs. electronic ignition

I have read that electronic ignition is more efficient. But, one contractor I am talking to suggested my new steam boiler should just stick with standing pilot because...

a) parts are readily available and inexpensive
    b) service calls will be less expensive
    c) tried and true technology
    d) the extra efficiency is not worth the extra $$ for the new boiler

Can some of you gurus please weigh in on this?
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    my 2 cents

a) electronic igniition parts are inexpensive as they have been for some time..the more they are used (and EVERYONE uses them now) they less they'll cost. Are they more? not really IMO

b)Why would service be less expensive? still have to diagnose spark ignition is not that complicated.

c)hot surface and spark ignition has been around at least 25 years...I call that tried and true..my moms dryer is 24 years old HSI..and its all original. I just clean it for her every year

d) last boiler I priced, the standing pilot cost more because it would be a special order..it is available, but in the last 5 years they sold a total of 2 so the returned them and only stock electronic.

Mitch
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Very few....

Standing pilot boilers going out the door now-a-days. Maybe an occasional steamer...but for the most part electronic ignition of some sort is the wave.

If you are going to be using a lined chimney, it may help to keep a draft established, as long as the installer remembers to NOT put the button in the damper.In some instances, we have used them to just keep a boiler dry during the off season,(damp basements) but that is happening less often too. Chris
This discussion has been closed.