Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Programmable thermostat for steam boiler

Options
The guys are right. Just out of the box, they are set for 6 cycles per hour for forced air. Go into installer setup mode and set it for 1 cycle per hour for your steam system. Steam systems don't like deep setbacks, so take that into consideration when you ar doing your programming. Thanks for using our products, and for more info, go to www.customer.honeywell.com and follow the prompts for more info.

Comments

• Tom Woodman
    Tom Woodman Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Programmable thermostat for steam boiler

Anyone know of a programmable thermostat that works with steam boilers? I just had a contractor tell me that I shouldn't use one because of something to do with cycle times. But, I have read online that I should be saving as much as 10% of my heating bill by using a programmable and turning down the heat at night.
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    progarmable stat for steam

You have to use a stat that uses an independent power source for steam or do some funky wiring. Most programables are power robbing stats and use the 24 volts off the TT terminals. When the pressure switch shuts down the boiler, out goes the stat.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • johnnyge
    johnnyge Member Posts: 86
    Options

I have a digital honeywell and work ok with my one pipe steam system. My old one was also a honeywell with the mercury bulb.When I replaced i used the same wires from the old one and connected the new thermostat, just make sure your wires goes in the right place. look at your old thermostat and match the wires to the inicial in the thermostat Y G B R if my memory is correct Y=heat;G=fan;B=Cold; R=power 24 Volts. in my case the 2 wires when to R for power and Y for Heat,and it works very accurate,I place a digitat thermometer next to my thermostat and they shows almost the same temp +/-2 degrees
  • adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    Options
    Stat

We use Honeywell VISIONPro 8000 stats on all our steam retrofits with great results.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    use

white rodgers..they work with steam just fine..get the one that uses batterys..it works with steam.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Tom Woodman
    Tom Woodman Member Posts: 15
    Options
    big help

Thanks all. You've been a big help.
  • Garret
    Garret Member Posts: 111
    Options
    honeywell stat

Read the manual on that one... on mine, there is a "steam boiler mode" you can set that helps it to avoid short cycle times.

out of the box, they're set up for furnaces, not boilers.
This discussion has been closed.