Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steamhead

for a look at this piece of classic equipment!

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Rodney Summers
    Rodney Summers Member Posts: 748
    Steamhead

Frank, I went back today to finish up and collect $$. I took some pictures of the old ESSO for you (and others ) to enjoy!

Esso: Serial # K10-2201
    Model # EB1D1

Made by Gilbarco, Springfield, MA

#1054 is of the inside of the old American Standard water tube boiler.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,297

Is that the burner that had a clutch and wouldn't start the oil pump until it came up to speed? I forgot about the 1/4" plugs they used in the oil pump-the ones with the little bleeder screw-allan wrench in the middle of them.

Heavy piece of Iron.

ED
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Not sure if it was on that particular model

but you're right, Esso/Gilbarco had the clutch. But its purpose was to let the fan freewheel a bit as the motor spun down, to blow a bit more air thru the tube for a cleaner shutdown.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Frank,

That was also the "poor mans delayed oil valve".
    Carlin tried bringing it back in the late 70's. Theirs was like a drum brake set up, with some sand paper glued to the inside if the drum, and bakalite pads on springs. The centripital reaction method. Much like the shut-off pump couplings that Beckett had....they're pretty much all gone now. Chris

P.S. I had a couple sets of the cap gaskets for that fuel unit in my truck (just in case!) when I left my last job. JCA
This discussion has been closed.