Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

anaerobic pipe dope

Options
Has anybody heard of an anaerobic pipe dope that must not be used on copper or prass pipe? If so, who made it and when was it made?

Comments

• Cold in Baltimore
    Cold in Baltimore Member Posts: 14
    Options
    anaerobic pipe dope

Since nobody has responded, is it fair to say that this was the wrong place to post?
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    PERMATEX

in over 44 years in the trade and installing millions of running feet of brass and every other type of pipe imaginable i have never, ever heard of a compound you could not use on brass pipe threads. some compounds are better for some specific applications although . refer to suggested manufacturers specifications. you did come to the correct place. now to further your inquiry check with the pertinent vendors ie: hercules , permatex , utility , s.o.s. whitlan , laco , rectorseal , solderseal , radiator specialty , gasoilia , alumac , expando , i may have missed a few but these are my favorites and should get you started. let me know if you want more. my personal favorite is PERMATEX. FOR REAL MEN.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Do all of the Google hits for "anaerobic pipe dope" point back to you?

No free oxygen in the pipe dope to support combustion? Seriously...are you working with nuclear energy and considering absolute worst-case scenarios?
  • Maine Doug_30
    Maine Doug_30 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    I googled

anaerobic pipe sealant and got back 37,900 hits including the same question on alt.building.construction Google Group.
    Here is one.

Anaerobic Pipe Sealant has ANSI/NSF standard 61 approvals.

June 13, 2003 - Permabond® LH050 Pure, designed for drinking water systems, fills up entire space between male and female parts, instantly sealing connection. Able to be used on metals such as brass, copper, iron, steel, nickel, and aluminum, material locks pipes, plugs, or fittings against vibration loosening. White paste has 50 lb-in. break strength and upper limit operating temperature of 392°F for sealing purposes.

• bob young
    Options
    anae

I called the local plumbing supply house but they did not understand the question. they suggested permatex. & lampwick ,of course. i agree. what does it all mean ?
  • bob_50
    bob_50 Member Posts: 306
    Options
    Anerobic

I have a tube of pipe dope made by a chicago co. called Anti-seize Technology it is a anerobic pipe sealant with teflon. I have used a dope made by Cajon called Swak that is anerobic. Loctite makes a dope called PST that is anerobic with teflon and is formulated for stainless steel. I have used all of them on brass with no problems. The only pipe materials that I have heard of that they are not compatible with are plastic pipe other than pure teflon. If you contact the mfg. they will advise on compatibility. bob
  • Alan(OnVacationInOregon)Forbes
    Options
    The one and only

Super-Dope:

http://www.argco.com/cgi-bin/item/1010088.html

Amazing stuff; it works where all other pipe dopes fail; bad , loose or old threads; hand tight on a 100 psi water line just to test it and nary a leak.

Anaerobic, but as far as I know it's OK to use on copper and brass.

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Why do they call it Dope !

Maybe this has been answered before, bu, where did the term "dope" come from ??

Anyone know ?

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bob young
    Options
    dope

I think dope is a slang term for paint as in airplane dope. in the early days some plumbers refered to compound as " paint " hence the connection. red lead & white lead were paint .
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    Bob is correct, Scott

The term "dope" is of early airplane origin, indirectly.

The original slang term "dope" alluded to inside information as in, "hey, what's the dope on that stock?".

It enforced the notion of secret principles which would make something out of nothing.

Early airplanes had low HP engines hence had to be light weight. Wings and fuselages were made of spruce covered in linen canvas. To make the linen airtight and moisture resistant so it would not wrinkle and defeat the airfoil effect, they used nitrocellulose (lacquer essentially).

When brushed on the canvas it became tight as a drum and had imparted upon it properties previously unknown. Hence the term "dope".
  • JoeV
    JoeV Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Just for copper

...is the name of the anaerobic pipe sealant I tried once that's supposed to eliminatethe need to sweat pipes together. They have all kinds of approvals but it failed me at 60psi. Is rated for much higher psi. Called mfr and he said I must have done something wrong.

I agreed. I tried the stupid stuff. Don't use it.

This discussion has been closed.