Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Un-dropped header

Options
lchmb
lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
If you keep up this level of work your going to start making the rest of us look bad!!

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    It's been a long time

since we did our last steamer . These are a great change of pace from the ordinary 1 or 2 zone changeout . I think this one was a National US Rad boiler . It had asbestos panels under the jacket so we just pushed it to the side . The head clearance was only about 5 feet 10 . Me and Danny left there with headaches . Sal left without a scratch .
  • Unknown
    Options
    I will not

drop another header on any Peerless steamer . After one inspector initially failed a job with one piped in , and the lack of a response from the company about the use , it ain't worth the hassle .

Other than my customer service woes , I do think the ECT is an excellent steam boiler . I've installed hundreds of them and have taken out only a handful of leakers over the years . We left just enough room to slide in a coil when that old gas heater lets go . Combine a coil with a storage tank and I bet he'll recoup the cost in no time - compared to running a new gas heater .
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    Options
    I don't blame you Ron,

Seems that you were left dangling on the precipice for quite a while....until "help" arrived. That wouldn't make me feel too confident EITHER. You won that battle but I don't blame you. Nice work dude. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • TGO_54
    TGO_54 Member Posts: 327
    Options
    Lack of support

Hi Ron,
    Nice work on the boiler - like always.
    I know what you mean about lack of support from a MFG, any chance your company will change brands of boiler for steam?
    I know you have been using Burnham for hot water - any reason you aren't using them for steam?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454
    Options

Very nice, clean install. What is the matter? They ran out of boilers in cabinets for you to replace?
    Reminds me of the countless JO and JOT series I installed in the 80's for my Grandfather's company. We did at 1 a day for years. I remember starting a job in the morning and at the end of the day, disconnecting the next day's boiler. I'm not in that kind of shape anymore.

Beautiful work, Ron. Outstanding, as usual.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Great replacement!

It's amazing how much smaller todays boilers are... I can also understand your reluctance to go the extra mile for the customer (i.e. install a drop header) vs. the dealing with the vagaries of the local code inspector. Frankly, I am surprised that Peerless did not send you a memo describing that dropped headers are the preferred installation method.

Anyway, this system ought to keep the people in this home happy for a good long time, at least until that underground return rots out...

As usual, your install is beautiful to behold with plumb pipes and neat wiring. That you can do all this in a day makes it all the more impressive.
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    let us know

WHEN not IF you get NO approval from NOT having the drop header...

Muphy's law.

Beautiful install...and a lot roomier areaa than the last group of pics you posted. Thank you for the excellent photo's. I learn a lot from them.
  • Unknown
    Options
    You know what they did ?

I'm going away for a few days starting today . Usually they schedule the steamers on Friday ( not sure why ) . Since I wasn't going to be around , I got it on a Thursday . Lucky me . Hey , I used to install the JOT series as often as you , averaged about 3 a week for almost 10 years . More than that with the bad 1985 or 86 block changeouts . I feel just like you now - this body is beat down from the abuse .

Thanks alot Al .
  • Unknown
    Options
    I am suprised also

that we did not get any feedback from the company directly . Our local Peerless rep went back to the job with one of our managers and met the inspector there . They both went over the reason behind the drop , and the inspector reluctantly agreed to sign off on the install .

Good catch about the underground return . I was concerned about it also because the homeowner told me he was adding water to the boiler once a day . So we kept an eye on it . The water stayed right at the top of the tee for a few hours . I told him we should come back and install a small water meter to keep track of the makeup water . Thank you Constantin, I always appreciate your comments .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Believe me

it won't happen again . I already requested we install only Burnham for steam , until Peerless can give us some written help . I've been dropping the headers for a few years now since Noel Murdough from Slant Fin showed us how and why .

With detailed drop header diagrams and Glenn Stanton standing behind the product line , I know there will be zero problems with Burnham . Thanks Mitch .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Not at all

I consider your work a notch or 2 above mine , Lchmb . Always look foward to seeing your installs . Thanks alot .
  • Unknown
    Options
    The irony is

the homeowner told me after the install , and after we came back and skimmed and cleaned , the system made no noise whatsoever . For the first time since she owned the home . Imaging having to rip it all apart and start from scratch after finding the system's sweet spot ? Hey , thanks alot Matt , I appreciate it .
  • Unknown
    Options
    We started using Burnham

for steam a few years ago . Probably one Burnham for every 4 Peerless or so . I like Burham for steam , especially for low piping . The short block lends itself into that situation nicely . And the choice of ports to connect into is great . Thanks TGO .
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    I know murphy

and since the last time...the inspectors have probably educated them selves (har,har) and believe in drop headers now...
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Options
    Ronjr

Your a frist rate installer!!!!
    by the way where's the closet door??? to much room there for you.
This discussion has been closed.