Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

5 zones in a cabinet

Options
J.C.A._3
J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
Captain Shoehorn Rides again!!!!

There isn't enough Valium in the world for me to even look at a job like that. I think I would just quote Nancy Regan....and "just say no". I know the job. I've done a few of them and wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. I hope you are being fairly compensated for doing work like this.

Truley remarkable Ron. If patience is a virtue you'll be in the sainthood before JP2. (living Saint is a high accolade).
Chris

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I often say

when I post pics here that this or that job was the worst I've been on . Well , this is officially the worst one .

The cabinet is built in , the doors and lid come off to get to the boiler . The wood cross piece is part of the built in , we had to work around it .
  • Unknown
    Options
    7 section Dunkirk

5 zones in total . 2 pumps at the boiler . An extra hot and cold pipe going who knows where . And a solar tank connected in to preheat the domestic coil . The last pic is the boiler stripped down . This was something I'd rather not do in the middle of a spotless kitchen , but I gotta play the hand that's dealt .
  • Unknown
    Options
    We got this far

I pipe at a pretty fast clip , but this job was just too much for one day . We finally got this Peerless WBV4 in place after 1 pm . Me , Tony and Danny managed to get the hot water going . We reused the 10 year old Riello burner , it's running excellent with a new blast tube and assembly . I'll be back there tomorrow to finish up and take a few more pics ( if it comes out 1/2 way decent ) .
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Unbelievable...

I don't know how you do it... Congratulations on managing to extract and reinsert 20 lb of stuff out of/into a 5 lb bag!

I can't wait to see the final product, it kind of reminds of some of those EU boiler systems that hide in a kitchen and look like a dishwasher... except this one involves a heck of a lot more skill to get installed!
  • Dave Palmer_3
    Dave Palmer_3 Member Posts: 388
    Options
    does..

the salemen who sell these jobs know what is entailed with these installs? And if your not done in a day do you get hassled? Nice work as usual.Dave
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454
    Options

It already looks great.

Where do all these nasty jobs come from?

More important... Why do you get stuck with them?

Nice work.
  • Rocky_2
    Rocky_2 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Dude! YOu have GOT to be kidding me...

Unbelievable! Does the new Peerless brush from the front? Not familiar with them as we don't have them up here.
    rocky
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531
    Options

Another well done job!!!! It is amazing how different states allow different things. I wouldn't be allowed to do that install here in Maine!!!! The HO would have some major decisions to make, or hire a someone who doesn't care about the codes.

I am so glad I don't work where you do!!!!!!!!!!!!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • dennis02
    dennis02 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    wow

It looks great but what if you gotta change the expasion tank
  • jerry scharf_3
    jerry scharf_3 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    beyond amazing

Ron,

This is beyond amazing inboth the initial pile and your ability to produce something of quality in these conditions. Doing it in just over a day makes is unreal. I would hope the owner puts up for some beer whan you're done.

jerry
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    Ron

You are a true craftsman, but my only question is what contortionist school did you graduate from?

You are the MASTER of SMALL SPACES!

Regards,

PR

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    Oh my

How do you keep getting stuck w/ these!! You are amazing for even bothering w/ this. Dumb question- What is code for distances from oil fired equipment exhaust piping to cumbustible materials there? Where is the air for combustion coming, under the toe kick panel?

The piping is beautiful, nice and straight.... I am sure you either have a very sore back, or sore knees from this one, maybe both!!!!!

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    Dam

You have got to be kidding me??? OK OK you win!! I pray that I never have one that bad.. Ron, you guys are in a class completely by yourself!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Finished today

Me and Danny went back to get it running . I forgot the camera at home , honest . The job came out pretty nice , I had to install the pumps on the return though . But it worked out fine . Thanks alot Constantin .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Al

You wouldn't believe how many homes on Long Island have boilers in tight spots . I would guess 100,000 homes or better . After a while you get used to the work area . My knees are jelly though . Thanks Al .
  • Unknown
    Options
    There are

just way too many boilers in homes like this to bring each home up to the strictest sense of the code . Last time I asked our service manager , he told me of all the accounts we have in Levittown , he cannot remember having a fire start from the boiler area . Not too bad a track record for equipment that's been in place 55+ years . Thanks Maine Ken .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well ......

I would guess the code is the same here as well as where you work . We had about 12 inches to the formica built in . Not exactly what I'd prefer , but it's better than the clearance on the old Dunkirk . Air for combustion is where you said , under the cabinet doors theres a vent .

I had to go back there today and I feel even worse than yesterday . I wear kneepads but on jobs like this they don't really help much . Maybe I need a pillow next time ? Thanks alot Cosmo .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Dave

This was sold for one day , if you can believe it . I always tell anyone that'll listen that if the homeowner could get someone to remove the built in , we can do that job in one day . But of course they think we can do anything in a day , no matter what obstacle .

Actually we would have had a fighting chance to get it done in a day if that cross piece on the built in could have been taken out . We had to build the header on the boiler when it was in the cubby and had a **** of a time doing the Limbo with the old piece of junk . Thanks Dave .

• Unknown
    Options
    Chris you woulda liked this one

It ain't that bad when you got 2 helpers cutting pipe , cleaning fittings , running to the truck . But it does take a toll on your knees . Usually I'll be riding a bucket , but that damn cross piece was right at my head . I had to kneel all day in the cubby , praying to the heating gods to get me out of there .

My patience was truly tested when the homeowner was not pleased at all that we wouldn't give them heat that day . I was going to say I can do it in one day , as long as you don't mind a sloppy mess that can never be serviced again . But like every other time , I bit my tongue . Thanks alot Chris .
  • Unknown
    Options
    This one does not

have a front cleanout . But the pic is deceiving . There is plenty of room to fit in there and brush out the boiler from the top . Believe me , I'd refuse to install the boiler if the fit was so tight they couldn't clean it . The WBV line is an excellent choice for these tight installs . The same boiler can be used for a rear vent also , just like the Weil Gold . I have a 3 section WBV under my stairs and has been burning fine for about 7 years now . Thanks Rocky .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jerry

Thank you very much for your response Jerry . I was trained by the best guy - he always said the homeowner is paying good money for us to be in there , we're gonna give them a good install no matter what .
  • Unknown
    Options
    The expansion tank

went in last , it'll just sneak out of there , if needs be . Thanks Joe .
This discussion has been closed.