Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

well pump sizing for 2 silcocks

John Starcher_4
John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
....that the well can actually deliver the needed water, and that the suction piping is in decent shape, you can probably get by with a replacement "jet" pump.

Sounds like you have an old style piston pump.

Talk to your local supply house (the one that sells pumps) about what you're trying to do, and they should be able to help you out.



  • tug boat
    tug boat Member Posts: 5
    what size well pump should i use

    A customer has an old sears and roebuck well pump that does not work. there house was changed over to town water years ago and now they want to put in a new pump to run a couple of sill cocks for watering there lawn, would like some advice on what size pump to install and any brand name suggestions would be appreciated
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    How much......

    ....do they plan on watering??? You can run alot of water through your meter before it becomes more expensive than the cost of a pump, the electricity to run it, pressure tank maintenance, etc.

    That being said, you should be able to check the proposed pump's flow characteristics to properly select which one you want to install. The capacity of the well could be an issue, also. Is this a jet pump or submersible? Myers makes a very good quality unit.

    Normally, at least in my area, it just ain't worth it, unless you're planning on pumping a VERY significant amount of water.

  • tug boat
    tug boat Member Posts: 5
    well pump

    They have a very large yard and several flower beds the problem is that every year there is a town water ban put in place after memorial day and the only way to water is by well, you must post a sign on your lawn also well water in use.
    I do not have much experience with well pumps but the one thats there is rated for 200 to 300 gallons an hour it looks like a compressor, a preasureized tank with a motor on top i only need some thing to run two silcocks with a decent amount of preasure.
    Would a large transfer pump work
  • Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    It sounds like you have a jet pump

    Is it one pipe or two? Located in the basement? Any chance you could install a submersible pump? Much quieter, more reliable and you never need to prime it.

    5 gpm wouldn't be much of a problem for most submersibles as long as the well can supply the continuous flow.

    Is the top of the well above grade or in a pit?
  • tug boat
    tug boat Member Posts: 5
    well pump

    i thought a small jet pump would work. the pump is sitting on top of a poured pad and the piping coming in is 1" galvy the well has plenty of water in it the existing pump has to many leaks and owner wants to replace. I want to give them the smallest pump required to try and save them some money. Will call my sales rep tomorrow
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794

    ....if you can measure the well depth (use a weighted string), and the static water level. This will help your supplier to properly select a pump for you.

  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Be good to know how much

    the well can produce in GPM. Too much pump may draw down the well and run a pump dry.

    The low gpm wells around here get a small pump and a lot of storage tank capacity.

    hot rod

    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    You are right, HR..........

    ....if that particular well condition is suspected, we would use a pressure switch with the low-pressure-shutoff feature.

  • SVDW
    SVDW Member Posts: 80
    well pump

    This may be a long shot but in our area the well driller usually files a record w/the health dept. detailing the depth of the well, gpm & test results for bacteria, ect. Might be worth a call to get a little info. Make the gov't work for you.
  • EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321

    If its been sitting around for years that galvi will give you problems. You'll probably need to replace all of it including the down hole pipe and foot valve. Have they thought of a rain water collection system? EJW

  • nick z.
    nick z. Member Posts: 157
    1 pipe

    You said it has 1 pipe coming in? That means its a shallow well pump.I would replace with such.There should be a check valve on the line coming in before the pump.Do your self a favor and leave that old check valve in there as long as it still holds.If you remove it and the pipe going down the well empties out you will be hours trying to reprime.If the well is accsebile go with a submergible.
This discussion has been closed.