Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Agressive Water & Stainless Tank Warranty

Options
DaMooch
DaMooch Member Posts: 2
Tony,

You are right. Given those numbers, this is well below the stated limits.

Looks straight forward to me.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    What does this mean?

I'm dealing with very high chloride levels (80-90PPM) within a certain town's water distribution system. The water is corroding the hydronic equipment, copper, brass and even stainless steel components in short order. The corrosion is also eating away at the potable system and is evident in a vast number of homes in this area. The Town refuses to remove the chlorides because they fall below levels of potability as determined by the board of health and "it's expensive."

Reading up on one Mfg's tank warranty I found this cryptic loophole and don't understand how to determine if the Mfg will warranty the tank under these conditions or not.

"Damage to the tank resulting from a chlorine and/or aggressive sulfate content higher than 500 mg/ltr. For calculation purposes, the chlorine and/or chloride content must be accounted for as 100% and sulfate – because of lower aggressiveness – with 20% of the total concentration. (Sample calculation: water analysis shows 60 mg/ltr. of chlorine and 200 mg/ltr. of sulfate. Therefore add to the 60 mg/ltr. of chlorine 40 mg/ltr. to cover aggressiveness of sulfate. The total is now 100 mg/ltr. The tank installation in this case is therefore permissible)."

Any thoughts?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    The fact that you ARE

having problems with the various components and the water supplier will not, or can not, address the condition, leaves you only one choice.

You, and or the homeowner, have to supply and install POE (point of entry) equipment to make the water "right"

Plumbing and Mechanical mag has a new columnist that writes about water treatment. I have been impressed with his columns and his ability to make the subject understandable. You might contact him for advice. Bet you get an earful :) This is one of his columns.

http://www.pmmag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2379,141067,00.html

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Unknown
    Options
    Good advice BUT,,,

POE equipment is something we have never done. It seems this situation/town leaves me no options. I must embrace yet another trade to get the (long term) job done. The last time I addressed this problem in this town I ended up trucking in my own water (hydronic fluid) to take care of the major corrosion that was happening. This didn't stop the potable corrosion and that's what I'm talking about now. What we were called in to fix is a bunch of Trianco Heatmakers. I'm still waiting to hear from Wirsbo as to what the material composition of the manifold stems are. I'm proposing a bunch of Vitodens 200s and V300s to combat corrosion.

Sneaky wording in their warranty though.

• loose cannon
    loose cannon Member Posts: 15
    Options
    chloride levels

I've seen some warranty requirements for stainless steel indirects that limit chloride leves to 80-100 ppm. Over that and you are out of luck getting warranty coverage on their products.
  • S Davis
    S Davis Member Posts: 491
    Options
    Water

If you end up changing out the tanks Buderus ST tanks can handle high chloride.

S Davis

Apex Radiant Heating
  • GaryDidier
    GaryDidier Member Posts: 229
    Options
    clorides

Gaty,

I'm pretty sure it would not be that hard to put in a treatment system to correct the water. A venturi valve in combination with an air to water seperation tank and filter should correct this situation. I have installed several systems to treat sulphides with great success. They are fairly simple and once installed cost very little to operate.

The basis for removal is the venturi introducing millions of bubbles {Free O2} Which combine with the clorides and sulphides. The air to waster tank seperates out the excess air and the filter removes the resultant solids on a schedualed basis.

Gary from Granville
  • GaryDidier
    GaryDidier Member Posts: 229
    Options
    clorides

Gary,

I'm pretty sure it would not be that hard to put in a treatment system to correct the water. A venturi valve in combination with an air to water seperation tank and filter should correct this situation. I have installed several systems to treat sulphides with great success. They are fairly simple and once installed cost very little to operate.

The basis for removal is the venturi introducing millions of bubbles {Free O2} Which combine with the clorides and sulphides. The air to water tank seperates out the excess air and the filter removes the resultant solids on a schedualed basis.

Gary from Granville
  • Tony Conner_2
    Tony Conner_2 Member Posts: 443
    Options
    But...

...the conversion factor from going from "PPM" to "mg/L" is one. (They're the same thing.) With 80-90 PPM being the same as 80-90 mg/L, doesn't that leave you way under the specified maximum, or am I missing something?
This discussion has been closed.