Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pressure drop when extending gas line???

Options
Jason_15
Jason_15 Member Posts: 124
I would suspect the new aplliance either has a smaller burner than the old one, thus a lower BTU rating, or that something is wrong with it. running another 8-10 ft. of 1/2 inch pipe shouldn't cause that dramatic of a drop. In my case, I run a stove, water heater, dryer, 70K btu boiler, and a gas fireplace all fed by 1/2 inch pipe. No problem with supply to any of the units. My dryaer is the farthes from the meter- at least 35 feet of pipe- and it's fine even with other stuff "grabbing" gas before it gets to the dryer. Regards, Jason.

Comments

• Joe_39
    Joe_39 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    ran 1/2\" gas line

from floor 1 to floor 2 for a new gas dryer on the top level of my home. Tapped off from stove connection in kitchen to run new line, length of new line is about 15 feet.

Would there be a noticable drop in gas pressure (gas meter is in the basement) from basement to second floor?

Reason asking is new dryer unit seems to run too long , already checked venting- no blockages, old gas dryer was in basement closer to gas main entry point.

I disconnected 4inch vent from side of dryer to feel the "heat" being exhausted from the unit ,it wasnt hot, wasnt cold, but just "warm"- didnt feel right compared to my old unit in basement which got very hot.

Before I call for service I want to ask you guys if you ever came across a problem like this caused by too long of a gas pipe run? Im thinking either the gas pressure isnt adequate for the dryer or somethings amiss in this new unit
  • in the words of DAN HOLOHAN......

that depends.

but yes, depending on the total length of run and pipe diameter and total load (read BTU Input for wach appliance on the line) you could have significant enough drop in pressure (and volume) not to run at full capacity.

hence the reason for published pressure drop charts in the National Fuel Gas Code.

steve
  • Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    Options
    NEW EQUIPMENT

check the settings on the dryer, are you on high fire or low fire, that will affect it, a 15 foot run should be fine, but in reality you should use the charts in the code books and verify it
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wheels said it best

and since there is some very inaccurate info in this thread, it's only fair to all who read this to have access to the correct info.

Type of gas matters a whole lot, too.

http://www.metrokc.gov/health/plumbing/gaspiping.htm

Noel
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    No problem mon

Dryer input is only 22 to 26K btu, 1/2 inch is plenty big. Even at a .3 drop you could go 200 feet. The scientific way to check is to check water column gas pressure at the dryer when it's running but the pipe size isn't a problem. You could clock the meter to check input per nameplate or outlet temp which should be about 150 degrees on high fire, you can call the appliance mfg help line to get the temp for your model, long dry time is usually restricted plastic vent.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    1/2\" pipe - 5.5\" WC - .3\" drop

15'-76 cfh/30'-52 cfh/45'-43 cfh/60'-38 cfh

How far & what size pipe from the meter to the range you tee'd off for the dryer?
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    Jim

Guys like you are the reason that we have permits and inspections for gas work. You need to have your Fuel gas system check by some one who knows. Best Wishes J.Lockard
This discussion has been closed.