Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Portable Ground Thawing/Melting

Options
Todd_12
Todd_12 Member Posts: 55
A few years ago there was a photo of some guys in Colorado that had an oilfired boiler on a trailer setup for ground thawing. I think it was Mark E. that posted the photo. Does anyone have this that they could re-post? I know someone interested in making one and want to show the picture. Thanks!!

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    its a steamer ...

this winter when they are trying to thaw the ground by the river i will get you a pic. sometimes it may take a year or two buh it will get the job done....
  • Donny
    Donny Member Posts: 37
    Options
    ground thawing

We did a Hampton Inn 3 Years ago, where the GC wanted to install underground plumbing in early Feb. They rented a set up designed for this application, it had a trailer mounted oil fired boiler, rubber radiant loops w/ quick disconnect ends w / check valves and insulation blankets. If I remember correctly it took 2 days to get rid of 18 - 20" of frost. I believe they got it from United Rentals. I'm sure you could snoop around any larger construction rental place and find like equipment to get some ideas to use.
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    grave topic

Talk to your local cemetery manager. A grave thawing hood is a good way to go if that size will work.
  • mr bull
    mr bull Member Posts: 15
    Options

I worked with R&H mechanical out of Eagle Colorado for six years. Contractors in the Vail area don't want to stop construction thru Winter, so we built a system with an out door boiler, fired on propane. We used heatway rubber tubing charged with 50/50 glycol. It worked real well, and as far as I know there still using it. We also covered the tube with concrete blankets.
    Have fun.
  • Drew_2
    Drew_2 Member Posts: 158
    Options
    Thaw

Check this site.
    www.groundheaters.com
    They manufacture these units.
This discussion has been closed.