Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vegetable Love, Unrequited-off topic

Options
about homegrown (tomatoes), then your not a fanatic aboout anything.

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Only a fanatic

...would take his best homegrown heirloom Brandywine tomato on a road trip to the Napa Valley. It wasn't quite ripe when I picked it before leaving, so I brought it with me, carefully wrapped in bubble wrap and hand carried until the 3rd day of the trip.

Boy, did it taste good!! Much better than a soccer ball...

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John L
    John L Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Kellogs breakfast

If you are an heirloom type of grower, try the heirloom Kellogs Breakfast next year. This is a phenomenal tomato, almost no seed, pretty much all tomato. You'll love it.
  • Scott Denny
    Scott Denny Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Heirloom

Yours looks just like the Cherokee Purple I picked this afternoon and will devour this evening.
    BTW Paul:
    If your in Napa to wine taste, next time down try Somoma, or for a real treat head on down to Pasa Robles/San Luis Obisbo. They're a little less jaded there then in Napa, plus you can make a side trip to Hearst Castle.
  • Paul Pollets
    Options
    The trip

Did a few Sonoma wineries, but mostly Napa area. I've been to the Hearst castle, but that was 40 years ago.

I didn't find Napa too jaded. It is was it is...very upscale to deal with the food/wine economy. I like the fact that they eliminated fast food franchises and highrises.

Also learned that mercury was mined in the extensively in certain parts of the valley. Wonder what the mercury content is in the wine??...wait...don't tell me.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

I was in Yountsville doing a small job for friends last year. (Part of Napa). They have identified micro-climates every 100 yards or so it seems. Nice place. I am from East bay area and went tasting often...

Tim

Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Paul Pollets
    Options
    The best part...

was the Domaine Carneros winery in S. Napa. Built by the Tattinger family, the flat roof of the Chateau has 700 sq meters of PV panels providing 120KW of power for the processing.

The winery has a special section on how they make 90% of their own power. Bravo!! Almost as good as the champagne they make.

• Scott Denny
    Options
    Mercury mines

In the 19th Century, mercury was mined extensively in CA. They called it quick silver mining back then.
  • Scott Denny
    Options
    O.K. Napa's not Jaded!

> was the Domaine Carneros winery in S. Napa. Built

> by the Tattinger family, the flat roof of the

> Chateau has 700 sq meters of PV panels providing

> 120KW of power for the processing.

>

> The

> winery has a special section on how they make 90%

> of their own power. Bravo!! Almost as good as

> the champagne they make.

>

>

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 104&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

• Scott Denny
    Options
    O.K. Napa's not Jaded....

but I am. There was a time in Napa when you could find good wine at reasonable prices. Not so much anymore. Expect to pay retail at the source. There are better deals here in Northern Calif. at the local Safeway.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

Looks beautiful!

Love my homegrown tomatoes as well but crop wasn't too good this year. Only canned about 16 quarts of juice and only had two pots of fresh marianara from the Romas. Even ran out of them for slicing in mid-August after an extremely rainy week--at least a few of the indeterminates are on their second wind and should have some ripe before they freeze.

BTW, it ripened on the way because tomatoes are fruits--not vegetables. Vegetables do not continue to ripen after being picked.
  • Paul Pollets
    Options
    2 Buck Chuck...

was not to be found. Better wine seemed to be priced at $30. to $35. per bottle and up. Everybody wants to find the $10. special. Very hard these days.

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

I can't believe you just said 2 buck chuck...I thought that was a west coast thing. I have brought back over a dozen cases to UT from CA while driving back & forth. Did you try Trader Joe's? That's where I usually find it.

Tim

Just a guy running some pipes.
  • John L
    John L Member Posts: 118
    Options

Mike,
    Try the Kellogs Breakfast for canning, should be an excellent choice,
This discussion has been closed.