Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing 80 year old radiator valve.

Options
When I couldn't take off a valve with a 3' cheater bar (2" pipe over the pipe wrench handle) I did it with a 5' cheater bar.

Comments

• Bill Reymann
    Bill Reymann Member Posts: 5
    Options
    How do I remove 80 year old radiator valves that are rusted?

We removed our 80 year old radiators to sand blast and paint them and put on new vents. We think this would be a good time to replace the valves on our one pipe steam heat radiators. In one room we are adding 1" to the height of the floor with tile and we have to replace a 10" 1 1/2" nipple.
    The problem is On the nipple I am afraid to use a torch because of the location to the wood joists.

I attempted to take the nipple off and valve off with a 2' pipe wrench and a 3' cheater bar, either did not budge. I am afraid of breaking the pipes.
    Any suggestions
    phone 330-338-3222 or e-mail rey@stonesales.com
    Thanks Bill
  • John_102
    John_102 Member Posts: 119
    Options

1. Look down the wall (or search) for surprise torque. Nevertheless, BE GENTLE (see #4, below).
    2. Buy some PB-Blaster from the auto parts store & apply it over sveral days, tapping in the meantime with a hammer. Be sure to protect flooring, etc. from the PB-Blaster.
    3. Construct heat shields from tin cans, flashing, heavy foil, etc.
    4. Call a pro.
    5. Take care of your back - those rads are HEAVY!

#4 should be #1. Listen to what others tell you here - I'm not a pro, just a homeowner with a tiny bit of experience.

Peace.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

Valves are brass--not iron/steel--and do not rust.

Usually easy to remove them from iron/steel pipe.

ALWAYS use two wrenches in opposition to one another. Fail to follow this rule and you'll "break" unwanted joints or collapse pipes.
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options
    If the

fitting below the nipple is cast iron bust it with two 3 pound sledge hammers and replace it, use one as a back up on the opposite side of where your hitting. If its Maliable Iron a little sawzall surgery on the fitting and a chisel will take it apart be careful not to cut the threads. You can try PB Blaster for a couple of hours with a few squirts at 15 minute intervals before the suprize tourque technique.
  • Jerry_15
    Jerry_15 Member Posts: 379
    Options

Yeah, if you're gonna cheat, cheat. What helps a lot is when you have under good torque against the back-up have your helper tap the wrench with hand sledge. It will break the connection. Once it starts it's not so bad. Put a cap on the pipe end first so it doesn't collapse. Wait till you try to get the spuds out. If the inner ears snap off with the spud wrench take a sharp cold chisel and split the nut straight back towards the rad. Now you can put the big wrench on, leave the spud wrench in to keep it from collapsing. Good luck.
  • Dave Belisle
    Dave Belisle Member Posts: 68
    Options
    removing an old nipple

I cut the nipple off leaving about 3/4 of a inch sticking out . Then with a small sawzall blade I cut to slots close to each other the entire length of the nipple making sure I don't get into the treads of the radiator. Then , with a chisel I tap out the small piece of the nipple between the slots and then squeeze the nipple with a pair of channel locks. The nipple will turn out with your hand . I have done it for years and haven't had a OOPS yet....

Dave in NH

BP&H
  • flange
    flange Member Posts: 153
    Options

cut the nipple off. heat the fitting below the floor with a torch not the nipple. should come out. I use turbo tips for this as they have a concentrated flame that is much easier to direct around tight spaces.
This discussion has been closed.