Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sizing Oil Tanks

Options
Paul B._2
Paul B._2 Member Posts: 62
It's a maximum of 1320 gallons per building, if not installed in a dedicated room, with a maximum of 660 gallons per appliance.

So basically you could have a duplex, and each side could have its own boiler or furnace, with up to 660 gallons of fuel connected to each appliance.

Paul B.

Comments

• Matt_21
    Matt_21 Member Posts: 140
    Options

is there a formula to determine what size oil tank you need. we are designing a system with 6 oil furnaces. i have the gph of each furnace but i don't know how much oil i will use per day to determine the size or number of tanks i need.
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    There is no formula

Common sense, practical thinking and tank location physical limits would control these considerations.

An almost universal "code" however limits a basement located tank to not exceed 660 gallons.

If each "furnace/boiler" is to be used by different tenants, logic might suggest each have their own tank - thereby being responsible for their own fuel costs?
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    My rule of thumb

is to size the tank capacity to allow five (5) fills per season. Once a month basically. No rhyme nor reason, just a good practice.

What Ken said about capacity is of course your limitation and it does vary by locale.

I have seen 550, 600 and 660 gallon limitations (twinned 275, 300 and 330 gallon tanks is the origin of those). NFPA-30 governs flammable liquid storage, if not as a code, then as a referenced standard that most jurisdictions cite. Go by your local AHJ/Fire Marshall.

You can store over that amount but then you are into bunkers, 2 or 3-hour separation... special permits if they allow it. Heck, you might as well drill you own oil well and open a refinery for all that hassle :)

Anyway, my $0.02,

Brad
  • Gene_3
    Gene_3 Member Posts: 289
    Options
    here's my 2

cents that is

you need to contact your Fire Marshall, especially if you are doing this yourself and then renting, the most you can have is 660gal inside. Local codes can be tougher=less gallons inside but not more.

• Ruthe  Jubinville
    Ruthe Jubinville Member Posts: 67
    Options
    oil tanks

Our area of western mass allows 1320 gal. We put in four
    330 gal tanks.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

NFPA 30 7.5.16 says tanks not located in a dedicated room, max capacity is 1320 gallons. Is there another code that superceeds this. I know I was always told 660 max, but this seems to say 1320.
  • frank_25
    frank_25 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    tanks here! get yer tanks!

Any profit minded oil company would want you to put in as large as posible. This way, we make less trips....do the math. If you are looking for a full service oil company, then ask 'em. Some companies offer something or other as an incentive. C.O.D. guys will usually offer better pricing for large dumps. If the reason is for "pay your own fuel bill", then perhaps you should consider individual meters that you read. On a one-pipe the meter goes after the filter. On a two-pipe, it goes on the common nozzle line. Yes, the better ones take the pressure. bwdik?ijap
  • Big Ed_3
    Big Ed_3 Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Another Side

You don't want to over size the tank past a years usage,,, Oil will start to break down sitting to long......
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    NFPA 31 (2006)

says four tanks of not more than 1,320 gallons can be connected to a single appliance, if the piping complies w/ their Figure 7.7.3. Note the requirement for thermally operated shutoff valves @ the tanks & OSV's on 3 & 4 tank hookups.

I would solicit local oil companies for their recommendations for tank sizes and configurations. They should know what other local codes apply.
  • Brent_2
    Brent_2 Member Posts: 81
    Options

Is this for an apartment building? Commercial building? What are the GPH's? Will the tanks be located in the basement? I agree that most owners wouldn't want to have to get the oil filled more than once a month in the winter.

Brent
  • Matt_21
    Options
    thanks

> You don't want to over size the tank past a

> years usage,,, Oil will start to break down

> sitting to long......

• Matt_21
    Options
    thanks for

the replies. it's a small commercial building. 1 tenant. after laying it, out i think i'm going to go with 1 boiler and ahu's w/coils. i haven't decided on the boiler yet but if i was using one with 3 gph. is there an estimated run time per day i could figure to determine how much oil i use per day. i'll like to have enough oil to last a month. the job is located in rhode island.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    sounds like you could use a 1000 gallon tank.

• TGO_54
    TGO_54 Member Posts: 327
    Options
    NORA

Reccommends that the storage does not exceed 1/3 the annual usage. Storage life of the #2 available today is about 6 months.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • This all changes...

If you use double wall tanks with 110% containment.

It also helps to have a great relation with your local L&I

:-)
This discussion has been closed.