Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

primary/secondary

Options
Empire_2
Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
Great book PACKED with info for all of your questions. 1" pipe will convey 80M, but it all depends on variables of not only your existing system, but how it is piped. Really,..this book is INVALUABLE to EVERYONE....:-) I love it.

PS Hi Dan,...........

Mike T.

Comments

• hombre de oleo
    hombre de oleo Member Posts: 17
    Options
    primary/secondary

I am looking for an equation to figure how much heat(BTU's) I can get from a one inch primary copper loop to service a radiant cellar load and an air handler heating the first floor addition. Calculated load is 27K BTU's cellar radiant, and 26K BTU's for the first floor. Existing EK-2 oil boiler with 007's. I was thinking primary/secondary because distance from boiler is about 70'.At the moment the EK-2 is firing at it's lowest nozzle size. Boiler load is not the issue,adequate BTU's to the radiant and air handler loads is.Will a 007 handle it? Do I need a bigger circ and/or bigger primary loop? Thanks, Greg
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    May I suggest

a book?

Primary-Secondary Pumping Made Easy!

There's a bit of figuring to be done, and it's best to get it right the first time.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Joe_76
    Joe_76 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Books

Worth every penny and then some.
  • jim_57
    jim_57 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Do I understand

that the system circ on your EK-2 is a 007? If so it's a field replacement. For proper flow through the converter (boiler) the manufacturer specifies a 0010. They also recommend using a buffer tank for radiant heat in order to achieve the highest system efficiency. For 27K you could probably use the domestic hot water tank as the heat source with a PE to isolate. It's a little more work up front but significant long term savings.
This discussion has been closed.