Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

adding a boiler feed pump Question

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,693
Steam guys, thanks for your help on my vapor system last week. If I add a boiler feed pump, will I get myself in any trouble? The way I see it, I won't because the pressure in the return system (again, it's all dry but there are no traps) in so low due to the orifices in the convectors. Thanks again!

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=368&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options

I would have doubts about this myself so I will standby for the answer. I am wondering if the boiler feed tank vented to the atmosphere will cause a problem.

ED
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    You shouldn't need one

If the old boiler worked OK with gravity return, the new one should too. As long as the returns aren't plugged, condensate should return in plenty of time.

Boiler-feed pumps in residential applications are almost always unnecessary. They (and the extra traps needed) add complication and extra maintanance where none is needed.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John_102
    John_102 Member Posts: 119
    Options
    Why gild the lily?

Homeowner here, with a receiver & pump which I hope to ditch some day so that I can return to good old Mother Nature's laws of gravity. You can have mine. Why do this to a perfectly good setup? I suppose mine exists because of the zone valves (which I'll throw in for no additional charge). KISS is my motto.

My real fantasy is to have the system run on a few milli-amps of juice (UPS'd backup) for those lovely powerless ice storms we are inclined to get down here in the sunny South. That will take a new boiler, TRVs, & a wise head, none of which I can yet find or afford.
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Options
    People killed for the black tulip, why not a gilded lily?

John, your appreciation of the simple beauty is eloquent enough. Thank you for your appreciation of steam heat.

If indeed the returns are so slow that the boiler goes in low level shut off within a cycle, rather than a feed tank and pump, I would first consider the horizontal storage tank in parallel with the boiler, right at its water line.

But even that is overkill in a home set up. If returns are slow, then cleaned or new pipes are what's called for, or even simply re-sloping the returns might do the trick.

This discussion has been closed.