Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best AV for training sessions?

Options
Mike, thanks for the feedback! Another nice aspect of OHP is that it's low-tech - not much to go wrong other than a bulb burning out.

Comments

• Jim Erhardt_2
    Jim Erhardt_2 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Best AV for training sessions?

For years I have depended on good old overhead transparencies for conducting training sessions. They allow me to prepare the material just as I want to present it, to easily switch back and forth between "screens" and to draw on them with water-soluable markers. However, there seems to be a growing trend to use PowerPoint.

I have used PP extensively in the past, but only for sales presentations. I have always felt that overhead transparencies were better for training purposes. So my question to you - as a person sitting in the audience, which do you prefer? In terms of audio-visual for technical training sessions, what is the best - or best combination - that you have experienced?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Hi Jim,.....

Funny thing, I think the OHP is very nice so when myself or others have a Q:, you can immediately erase and emphasize your lines or the like. Power point is also nice, but no so INTERACTIVE,.But clearer.. Sounds like a new invention needs to be invented...;-)

My .02

Mike T. PS clarity is also every ones concern.
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Training topic?

I use both and IMHO it depends on what will be trained on. I think that the OH is perfect for following a schematic, you can draw on them and the participant has the schematic to follow and keep. What I think powerpoint is best for is for training on equipment operation and for troubleshooting situations with real equipment. Just think about all the poorly installed pictures of systems we see at this site and all the nice work Ron Jr. does, as well as the drop headers from SH and others. With PP you take a picture in the basement and drop on the arrows and text showing what's wrong in the next frame. For large industrial systems with lots of valves, especially older systems the PP labeled pictures are used for training and then given in a binder with specific startup or shutdown instructions. Makes writing a procedure much easier.
This discussion has been closed.