Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic Fan Coils

Options
Sorry, out of original metaphors, Bob! :)

The radiant effect of CI Baseboard and the thermal mass compared to a copper/aluminum coil is obvious to you already.

Add to that the expense of heat delivery; with your Baseray you have to run a pump and boiler. With the hydronic air handler you have to run a pump, boiler and, oh yeah, the air handler.

Moving an insulator (air) to heat is more expensive than a conductor such as water. (Specific heat is more operative a principle than insulative value but you get the point.)

What I like about the heat pump is that it shines in the milder weather, between say 55 degrees down to the high 30's say. Maybe more depending on your local balance point. After that, sure, you can put in a coil (I would if electrical rates are high compared to fuel) to extend that.

But there will come a time when you want the Baseray to do it's best, during the colder weather. If you have no attic freeze issues, the hydronic coil makes sense, just have a way to switch easily to hydronic CI Baseboard.

My $0.02

Brad

Comments

• Rob_31
    Rob_31 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Hydronic Fan Coils

Hello,

I live in a 1 story rancher in Pa. and have an oil fired boiler with Baseray cast iron radiators. I also have a separate A/C unit in the attic. I'm going to be installing a heat pump, and I want to use a hydronic fan coil for backup heat, instead of electric strips. I see this setup a lot throughout my day, as I service heatpumps with hydrokinetic boilers, and I see commercial applications where their only heat comes from airhandlers with hydronic fan coils.

My question is, how would the hydronic fan coil by itself compare to my baseboard radiators in terms of energy usage? I'm thinking it would bring the house temperature up quicker, but not retain it like the radiators would.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thank you,

Bob
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    The Honeywell 8000

thermostat has an option for outdoor sensor and lets you program a switchover point at the balance point. Fro example you can switch over from Heat Pump to baseboard around 35 degrees. That way yuget the econmy of the heat pump down to 35 degrees Outside temp, and the comfort of the baseboard below. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.