Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steel panel radiators vs. cast iron baseboard

Options
I currently have a force air heating system and would like to install a hydronic system. Steel panel radiators (Myson) and cast iron baseboard (Burnham) are being considered. Steel panels take up less wall space, faster responder, and are generally located under windows. However, I'am concerned about the life span of the radiators being steel. Cast iron baseboard has a longer life span but is a slower responder. Any and all responses/sugestions on the above topic would be appreciated.

Comments

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Phil,

You're thinking in the right direction...but don't pigeonhole yourself by thinking of only one companies product. There are now more choices, and some of them can be both functional, and estecically pleasing..to the eyes.Cast iron radiators and baseboards ARE nice...and work well. I like the look, but there has to be something more than functionality. (I've got Arco thin tubes myself...Functional, but boring looking things!)

Myson is but one of the manufacturers that make some nice looking products. Look around and the choices will amaze you. Buderus and Dianorm make a nice line, and have quite a few choices as to size and widths. Runtal makes their "panels" in many shapes and sizes too.

For the more exotic and functional, yet hidden lines..check out Jaga at WWW.the radiator factory.com. Some neat stuff there.

I'm sure that there are many more, but these are my favorites.(the Circo Corner gets my vote for the best looking and best use of space!)Chris
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    as far as ....

life span goes...either will last fine...the system is closed so oxidation is not an issue and both will last 50 years....I have Buderus panels and they work well...although I do wish I had used the Buderus 2107 control...maybe someday. kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • frank_25
    frank_25 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Did 'em both

IMO CI baseboard will retain heat longer after the circ. off. [ There's the ole thing that goes "If it takes longer to heat, it will take longer to cool." ] I don't believe there is much of a heat-up time difference to matter. Coolin off is another story. I've installed Myson once before and I won't again unless they make a more user friendly bracket assembly. Naturally there are other mfgs. Those panels are also a conversational piece. Who talks about bb? As far as longevity, the steel product has been around in Europe for a while. You may want to explore web sites. However, steel will last a long time because there won't be any fresh water added to the system after complete bleed-out. That water will go stagnent within a weeks time. bwdik?ijap
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Kevin,

Just like the cobblers kids, that have no shoes?

I know the feeling. I've been threatening to install some climate panel in my bathroom for 3 years now!(big chuckle!) Chris
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options
    control

I'd also consider control strategy. Like constant circulation and lower water temps with out door reset and boiler protection (if needed). Then you won’t have to worry so much as to which cools faster. This will be more efficient and comfortable.

My personal preferences; European style panel rads(mainly Buderus because they come packaged very well) and Runtal because they look sleek. Most Euro panels are the same and some companies’ offer Runtal look a likes.

In our latest project, we will be installing Myson Eclipses, which are typical Euro panels and some of their column rads. All of the Mysons' will have TRV's. There is also some Runtal steel baseboard and a Runtal towel rad with a TRV. This is being controlled by a Buderus Logamatic R2107 with out door and in door sensors. The boiler is a sealed combustion direct vent Buderus GA124.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    A good hydronic fluid conditioner

is always a good idea. I'd start with a good hydronic cleaner and flush, then good quality fill water. Lastly a good hydronic system conditioner like the Rhomar products. Make sure you chose a product that is multi metal to handle steel, cast, stainless, copper, and perhaps aluminum.

Thin steel panel rads do not have a lot of steel to give up :) A good conditioner will scavange O2, balance ph, lock up any hardness, and provide a very thin film protection on all the components including the pump and boiler surfaces.

Need to get all the oils anbd solder flux residue out first, hense the cleaner and flush.

hot rod

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    A good hydronic fluid conditioner

is always a good idea. I'd start with a good hydronic cleaner and flush, then good quality fill water. Lastly a good hydronic system conditioner like the Rhomar products. Make sure you chose a product that is multi metal to handle steel, cast, stainless, copper, and perhaps aluminum.

Thin steel panel rads do not have a lot of steel to give up :) A good conditioner will scavange O2, balance ph, lock up any hardness, and provide a very thin film protection on all the components including the pump and boiler surfaces.

Need to get all the oils anbd solder flux residue out first, hense the cleaner and flush.

hot rod

This discussion has been closed.